Board Shorts

0
418
The fall kickoff will be on a smaller scale than previous concerts. - Erik Sagmoen

Fall Kickoff Update

The SFSS is planning another fall kickoff, but on a smaller scale than previous concerts.

Keeping in mind the other priorities of board members, the board will only have two or three board representatives on the formal concert organizing committee this year. The rest of the committee will be comprised of student volunteers.

SFU’s 50th anniversary committee, among other departments, have expressed interest in partnering with the SFSS for the event. The 50th anniversary committee has offered to commit at least $10,000 sponsorship for the concert.

In addition, they will provide the assistance of the 50th anniversary community ambassadors for the event itself, and will include the fall kickoff in official communications as a signature event of the 50th anniversary.

Surrey Space Expansion

VP student life Deepak Sharma and sciences representative Jas Hans presented on the progress of the Surrey space expansion/renovation project, which will be creating additional study space for students at the Surrey campus.

Three spaces have been narrowed down to undergo renovations — two in the 5th floor galleria and one in the 4th floor galleria.

A consultation process will take place from June 29 to July 10, under the supervision of the Surrey campus committee and Surrey affairs officer.

The consultations are meant to be an interactive way to engage students in the planning process, to ask them to voice which of the tentative layouts they prefer, and gauge opinions on more minor details such as upholstery fabric.

Student Union Development Summit

The board approved spending a total of $1,461 to send three members of the board of directors to the SUDS conference, which is taking place August 13–16 at UBC.

The conference is hosted by the Alma Mater Society, and brings together members of student unions from across the country. Topics covered at last year’s SUDS included advocacy, finance, and student services.

Although the conference fee — currently $435 per person, including UBC accommodations — will increase by $75 each after July 1, the board indicated a chance for adding to or changing who will attend the conference at a later date once more details are released.