University Briefs

0
410
Photo courtesy of The Windsor Star

UBC student writes 52,438 word dissertation without punctuation

A PhD candidate at the University of British Columbia wrote a 52,438 word dissertation, titled “Indigenous Architecture through Indigenous Knowledge”, without any punctuation.

About the unusual nature of his writing, Patrick Stewart, an architect from the Nisga’a First Nation, said he “wanted to make a point” about the “the blind acceptance of English language conventions in academia.” This deconstructionist approach to the English language led to certain professors finding his work unconvincing.

At the defence of his thesis, Stewart answered questions for more than two hours, which ultimately resulted in his work being approved.

With files from National Post

University of Windsor student wins $25,000 for project

Kyle Bassett, a PhD student in engineering at the University of Windsor, won a $25,000 prize last week at the Ontario Centres of Excellence annual Discovery Conference in Toronto. Basset’s innovation won him the David McFadden Energy Entrepreneur Challenge.

His idea for a five-volt portable turbine to provide energy for remote communities won the competition against nine other finalists from Ontario.

The development of Bassett’s turbines is at an advanced stage and he has already launched his own company, RMRD Technologies, to produce them for commercial usage.

With files from Windsor Star