Spring Jam artists revealed

0
550

The line-up has been finalized for the Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS)’s second spring concert, the SFU Spring Jam, coming to SFU on Friday, March 20.

Performing this year will be local band Derrival, who earned second place in the 2014 Peak Performance Project. Performing alongside them will be Australian DJ duo Stafford Brothers, and a second brother act, Cash Cash, who are an electronic dance music (EDM) group from the United States.

SFSS VP student services Zied Masmoudi spoke to the significance of supporting local talent like Derrival. The group includes SFU student Deven Azevedo, who majors in environmental science and serves as a student representative on the SFU board of governors.

“I’m really happy to have this band play this time,” said Masmoudi. “It means a lot for local talent — they’re an up-and-coming band. They play very good music.”

The Stafford Brothers are well-known DJs in Australia, and Masmoudi told The Peak that they tend to bring unique elements to a show, such as over-sized bananas and inflatable kangaroos.

The final set and headliner, Cash Cash, consists of two brothers from the eastern United States. Some of their more popular tracks, such as “Take Me Home,” can be heard on local radio.

The concert will be similar in layout to the Fall Kickoff concert last semester, and will also feature a closed-off 19 plus beverage garden. Masmoudi says one difference students can expect to see is in the production quality, as the budget has been increased from previous concerts.

The overall expected cost of the concert is approximately $81,500, with almost half allocated for the talent. This will be nearly double what was spent on artists for the Fall Kickoff.

“We’re going to have better quality artists this time, and the tickets will be cheaper than in the fall,” Masmoudi said.

Similar to previous concerts, there will be an after-party following the show. He could not confirm whether or not they will have an emcee, but alluded to the possibility of “a special guest.”