Archie Andrews walks with the zombies

0
676
Photo courtesy of Archie Comics.

Afterlife with Archie is the most grounded storyline featuring America’s favorite redhead to be published in the past few decades. We have seen Archie team up with Marvel’s Punisher at prom night, jam with the rock band KISS, and hang out with the characters from Glee. In a couple months from now, he will even be sharing an uncomfortable vacation with the Predator.

Archie Comics have never shied away from odd mashups over the years, and it’s a wonder the publishers didn’t set their sights on the zombie genre ages ago. When the book was first announced, I could not help but roll my eyes at the prospect of another zombie-centric storyline. It seemed like another decaying corpse thrown upon a pile of so many other similar storylines.

Yet, somehow, Afterlife with Archie manages to stand out. It remains fresh while so many among it have gone stagnant.

One might argue the storyline borrows from Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie, and simply replaces science for magic. It is functional and somewhat paint-by-numbers, but this never takes away from the overall experience. That is in part because of Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa’s strong script.

Photo courtesy of Archie Comics.
Photo courtesy of Archie Comics.

In as little as a few pages, Sacasa establishes the characters long-time fans have come to know, but in a way that is accessible to new readers as well. Archie and his friends remain true to their original incarnations, but with added depth. For example, the indecisively lovesick Archie Andrews is replaced with a version who seems more nauseated with Betty and Veronica.

In this story, more emphasis is given to the strong friendship between Jughead and Archie, an element sometimes not placed in the spotlight due to his uproarious love life. It’s a breath of fresh air, and part of what makes this story so compelling.

Sacasa moves the story along at a steady pace, but never sacrifices character development. Every character gets a moment to shine in this horrific tale. As the story progresses, we are given more intimate looks into their psyches, and a chance to establish strong connections with the often-flawed characters.

Francesco Francavilla’s artwork stands as nothing less than a perfect pairing to go along with Sacasa’s frightening script. On the surface, the pencils are simple enough and get the job done. However, the shading and limited use of colours is what really makes this comic unique.

Using only oranges, blues, and pinks, Francavilla succeeds in striking a horrific tone throughout the whole comic. Whether it be a horrific scene of Riverdale’s undead or an emotionally poignant character’s flashback, Francavilla never misses a beat. His artwork alone is worth the cover price.

Afterlife with Archie is an emotional tour de force, one that will leave old fans as well as new ones on the edge of their seats. Its richly characterized cast will leave you wishing that everyone might live to see a happier ending.