It’s the most wonderful time of the year

0
518
With the offseason moves by new management, Canucks fans have reason to be optimistic.

It’s one of the most exciting times of the year. No, not because school starts (although there is certainly excitement to be had, I’d rather be on a beach), but because it’s hockey season.

Perhaps I should clarify: it’s not just because it’s hockey season, but more specifically, it’s before hockey season. It’s the time before the season begins, before any colossal meltdown, before any hard-nosed coach who produces interesting sound bites turns out to be probably the wrong choice.

All we have now is an abundance of new prospects, completely new management who seems to take action, a promising new coach, and a bunch of interesting signings. At this point, there is none of the drama that develops throughout the season, nor has any free agent turned out to be overpaid and ineffective, and there’s still the chance that some prospects could make the team this year.

As of this moment, we can still believe that the team could be a playoff contender; whether it stays that way throughout the season is hard to say, but right now everything looks good. For now, we can just bask in the glory of optimism.

With that being said, perhaps you’re reading this as a cynical column suggesting that the pre-season is the only time for optimism. But that’s far from the truth, as I am legitimately excited for the Canucks’ season.

At this point in the season, it feels like the Canucks could do anything, and truthfully they could. It’s certainly possible that last year was a minor blip, perhaps brought on by the wrong coach for the job.

And the truth is, they have certainly made enough moves to radically change the team, for good or bad. I think they certainly could be a contender this year, and it seems that a retool rather than a rebuild may be possible.

Also, the truth could be the other way around. Perhaps they are a team on the eve of a rebuild. But really, that’s the fun, you just don’t know. I’ll be watching, that’s for sure.

(A)side Jab: It’s rather humorous that the Maple Leafs are going after all the Canucks’ old pieces having signed Mike Santorelli, David Booth, and last year signing Mason Raymond. I don’t want to diss on these guys because I like them as players, but I’ll just say it’s an interesting strategy.