Looking on the bright side

10
857

I believe in the power of positive thinking.

Before you discount this article as some mumbo jumbo about new age meditation, let me explain. You may have heard that if you just think positively, you will achieve your goals or get what you want. I don’t exactly believe that, but I think that keeping a positive attitude and believing that you will succeed will get you much farther in the right direction.

I’ve always been an optimist, and, in general, things tend to go my way. It’s not that bad things never happen to me, but when they do, I think having a positive attitude is extremely important. While watching the Monty Python cast sing “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” during their reunion show live from London last weekend, I was inspired to expand on these ideas.

Looking on the bright side means being able to see the positive aspect of any outcome. For example, last week it took me three hours to get home by bus when the Skytrain stopped running. Instead of being grumpy the whole way home, I accepted it and used the time to relax and chat with other people who were in the same position. Even in situations that seem completely hopeless, there is almost always something positive.

Being led down a different path in life could turn out better than you expect.

Rejection is another thing that can be turned into something positive with the right attitude. When I first came to SFU, I auditioned to be part of the School of Contemporary Arts’ dance program. When I didn’t get in, I tried not to dwell on that rejection. Eventually, I ended up studying something else that I found incredibly rewarding. If you approach life with the attitude that things are meant to happen for a reason, you will be less devastated when they don’t turn out a certain way.

I have also found that a positive attitude leads to more positive outcomes. I’m not sure if there is any proof of this, but I believe that patients who stay positive and think they will get better actually help their body to do so. I am convinced this helped my mom when she was fighting cancer.

In a similar way, thinking you will succeed at anything will increase your chances of doing so, as you are guided by positive energy on the way there.

I don’t want to imply that you shouldn’t put effort into getting what you want, but a balanced approach of your best effort and a positive attitude will lead to happiness. Putting your mind to something and wanting it badly is important, and by doing this you will always get much closer to your goal than if you assume you can never reach it. At the same time, it’s important to remember that if your original plan isn’t successful, it means that you are being led down a different path in life. And this path will probably be better than you ever expected.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this: always look on the bright side of life. In the words of Monty Python: “When you’re chewing on life’s gristle / don’t grumble, give a whistle!”

Have a good sense of humour, don’t take yourself too seriously, and always look for the positive aspect of any situation. This will help you lead a happier, more productive life. And if that doesn’t work, just turn on some Monty Python.