Satellite Signals

0
468

WEB-woodward

Woodward’s

The premiere of Victoria composer Christopher Butterfield’s fall for string quartet was performed by Montreal’s Bozzini Quartet last Thursday at SFU Woodward’s; attendees were invited to experience Butterfield’s latest composition. The Bozzini Quartet consider themselves to be “radically contemporary,” and so provided a perfect partnership for Butterfield’s “eclectic approach to composition.” 

surreySurrey

The Sikh Student Associations at SFU, UBC, and UFV hosted “Reflections on the 1984 Sikh Genocide: Why does it matter?” The session addressed the specifics of what went on, as well as what can be done now. Special guest Harinder Singh, an interdisciplinary researcher and global orator on Sikh and Punjabi heritages, led the interactive, dialogic event on the ever-lasting consequences of the 1984 Sikh Genocide.

vancouver

Vancouver

The 8th International Gender and Language Association conference took place at Harbour Centre from June 5 to 7. The conference aimed to promote an awareness of how language affects differently gendered students in learning environments. Findings from co-chair Allyson Jule showed that teachers will generally encourage male students to speak more so than females. This could potentially have long-term effects on girls, making them less vocal in certain situations, such as in the workplace.