Board Shorts

0
413

6365127501_a031d8a183_z
At-large rep off to Prague

Newly elected at-large representative Rebecca Langmead has left for Prague for two months. The board approved Langmead’s leave of absence at their board meeting on May 6. Although the bylaws state that the IRO must approve the leave, board approved Langmead’s request as the IRO position no longer exists.

Given that a board member on a leave is unable to fulfill requirements to receive their stipend (for instance, attending Clubs Days or attending council), Langmead will not receive her stipend. Although she is not receiving a stipend, SFSS President Chardaye Bueckert told The Peak that Rebecca plans to keep up on society matters via email and online by reading meeting minutes, etc.

Student At-Large Nominations

There has been a call for nominations for a student at-large to sit on various SFSS committees. While any member of the student society is welcome to attend all committee meetings, the upcoming elections will be for students who are to formally fill seats on these committees with voting rights. The nomination period is to end on Friday, May 23.

Elections Canada Workshop

VP, External Relations, Darwin Binesh, is to represent the SFSS at a workshop put on by Elections Canada surrounding the issue of low youth voter turnout. The event will take place downtown on May 29 and 30. The focus will be on the declining voter turnout of young people and how it can be improved. “Obviously, this would be pertinent to us, I think, as young people, not just as the board of directors,” said Binesh.