University Briefs

0
436

mars_JordanDumba-1100x728
TRU students support sweatshop-free campus

The TRU student union is moving forward with their lobbying campaign for the university to join the Worker Rights Consortium, an NGO investigating working conditions in factories around the globe.

Having reached the 3,000 signature target it set internally, the student union moved to gain support from affiliated Canadian universities, such as the University of Toronto and Queens. The TRUSU will present the notice to the board of governors on Feb. 14, for the administrators to decide upon.

Although they have not yet received support letters, Leif Douglass, TRUSU vice president external, is confident in their proposal saying: “There is clearly a lot of campus support.”

With files from The Omega

U of S student may boldly go where none have gone before

A U of S student has made the 1,028 person shortlist to be on the first human expedition to Mars.

Andrew Cooper, a third year political studies major, explained his motivations behind applying to The Sheaf: “I thought the idea of travelling to another planet on behalf of humankind would be a noble venture. It’s not only an inevitability, but it’s one of the most important things we can do,” Cooper said. “And aside from that, space is awesome.”

The first scheduled flight would take off in 2024 with a team of four astronauts, to land 210 days later on the red planet. The next stage of the selection process will take place in April, with the final 24 candidates to be chosen in 2015.

With files from The Sheaf

Concordia takes the stand against Quebec Values Charter

Concordia defended its opposition to the controversial proposed Quebec Values Charter on Jan. 23, arguing that “universities have always, and should now continue to, promote inclusion and open mindedness.”

The bill, proposed last September, would restrict public sector employees from wearing or displaying conspicuous religious symbols.

“We’re not comfortable with denying access of education because of the way people dress,” said Concordia Provost Benoit-Antoine Bacon.

With files from The Concordian