Ukrainian Olympians concerned about having families live in Ukraine

0
493

KIEV — While being selected to participate in the Olympic Games is the realization of lifelong dreams for most athletes, for some Ukrainian team members, it could also fulfill their more recent dream of getting away from their dangerous, unstable country.

Many of Ukraine’s biggest winter sports stars have come out saying that due to ‘security concerns’ almost everywhere within a metre-radius of them, they will definitely be trying to bring their families with them to Sochi.

“It’s just not worth the risk for my family to continue living in Ukraine,” explained Alpine skier, Oleksander Kluka. “For their safety, I just think it’s better that they come with me to a nice, peaceful resort town like Sochi.”

Kluka’s feelings were echoed by teammate Demyan Dmytro who said the decision was difficult but that it will leave him with more peace of mind not leaving his family in their home country.

“Sure, I’d love them to stay home and not have them distract me as I try and concentrate on winning a sporting event,” Dmytro said. “But I decided that human life is a little more important than skiing, just a little though, I’ll be honest it’s really close.”

Other athletes, like snowboarder Roman Vsevolod, have faith in the safety precautions of Ukraine’s violent protesters and riot police and have decided to go to Sochi solo.

“I’m sure it’ll be fine, the two weeks I’m in Russia will definately somehow be the first days there aren’t massive bouts of violence at home,”  Vsevolod said. “Anyway, I’m sure everything will be better once the games start, I mean, how could anyone ever get violent from watching a sporting event?”