Abbotsford vs. Homeless

0
496

Society is reflected in how it treats its poorest citizens, the most vulnerable who could often use a hand up when they’re knocked down by the trials of life.

Abbotsford has been the subject of much disapproval and speculation due to the recent behaviour of its government, police force, and certain residents this past holiday season. Christmas is a time for giving, a time to be spent safe and warm, yet Abbotsford seems to be edging some of its citizens away from what little luxuries they have created for themselves.

On December 20, the BC Supreme Court announced that the homeless camp set up in Jubilee Park had to vacate by Saturday the 28. Each night this park became a shelter for 30 to 40 homeless men and women, with their tents and wooden barricades protecting them from the harsh winter elements.

The decision to take down the camp came after the lawyer for the city stated that there is ample space for these citizens inside shelters. City officials cited health and safety concerns to justify forcing the camp to be vacated.

However, ample space doesn’t mean that these people will all accept shelters as their place of residence during the holiday season. Furthermore, the lawyer representing the homeless camp has publicly questioned whether or not there truly is enough space for all of these displaced Abbotsford citizens, especially during the busy Christmas season.

This is not the first time that the city of Abbotsford has challenged its homeless population. This past summer, city workers attempted to rid the park of its residents by spraying chicken manure at the homeless camp, leading to a lawsuit filed in November by residents and activists. Two weeks after this event, residents of the area alleged that police slashed and bear-maced tents assembled in the camp.

After forcing these people out, who is going to help them? The average person doesn’t want to get involved, either out of fear or simple disregard. Perhaps gatherings like these hit too close to home for some. By witnessing these large groups together, people are forced to truly see the homeless that are around them on a daily basis. This challenges the barrier many put up, making it more difficult to keep the homeless population a distant background thought as opposed to the very real occurrence that is homelessness in the lower mainland.

This attitude of “not in my backyard” isn’t going to solve anything. The members of the community, the local government, and the police force should be working together to find a solution or a space for the homeless, rather than constantly displacing them. An “out of sight, out of mind” mentality does not solve anything.