Teenager stuns guitar shop with flawless rendition of “Sweet Child O’ Mine”

0
513

SEATTLE — Open mouths, gaping jaws and teary eyes were in abundance at the Bellingham Guitar Center yesterday afternoon when workers and patrons were treated to a stunning surprise performance of Guns-N-Roses “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”

Fifteen year-old Simon Flaherty said he was simply at the shop to try out a couple guitars and maybe buy a patch cord and that he had absolutely no idea he would receive this kind of ovation.

“It was crazy, I was just noodling around on this cool Martin accoustic when it just hit me to play ‘Sweet Child,’” Flaherty recalled thinking back to yesterday with starry eyes, “I noticed the woman across the room looked over at me and smiled as I played the first few notes and I just looked at her stunned like ‘you know this song?”

As Flaherty continued to play the opening riff he said that everyone there must have been real music experts because they were all whispering “it’s that song!” to each other before crowding around him in awe.

“It was a little nerve racking when even the store managers came out to watch but I still managed to hit every note, I don’t know how, I haven’t even done it perfect all the way through at home!” Flaherty said, with surprise still in his voice.

One of the shop’s salesman recalled the event as probably the most amazing performance he’s ever seen and according to friends he’s seen over three different GNR cover bands.

“It was so incredible, I almost couldn’t believe my eyes,” the salesman recalled shaking his head incredulously, “I mean I’ve seen a couple people who can get the first couple notes right but this kid did the ENTIRE opening without even looking down at his fingers more than once! I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy could even nail Stairway to Heaven if he set his mind to it!”