Board Shorts

0
518

WEB - Board Shorts - Enrique Lin
Build SFU update

A space program recommendation for the Student Union Building has been drafted by the architects. The board will finalize the draft on Dec. 2 and the site selection vote will take place on Dec. 4.

Members elected four Board representatives to a Working Group, where they will share their input on how the SUB space should be used. Elected members include Brandon Chapman, Clay J. Gray, Moe Kopahi and Gloria Mellesmoen.

The Board has also amended the Build SFU Bursary Terms of Reference introduced last week. The SFSS will now support the bursary through a portion of the Build SFU levy that will be transferred to Financial Aid and Awards via a remittance from the SFU Finance Office. The bursary will be available only to full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need.

Men’s Centre Working Group

Board also appointed two Student-at-Large positions to the Men’s Centre Working Group. Out of the six candidates, Koju Kojwang and Karanvir Thiara were appointed. Thiara, a former at-large representative of the SFSS Board, put forward the Men’s Centre mandate during his elected term. In his application, Kojwang stated that, “gender issues are close to [his] heart” and he believes he can “bring a fresh, valuable energy to the discussion at hand.”

Office Holiday

Board passed a motion declaring Mon. Dec. 23 to be an Office Holiday. The Society will now close for the semester break on Fri. Dec. 20. President Humza Khan hopes staff will benefit from the extended break. “We recognize the fact that our staff has been working very hard for us,” said Humza. “[So that hopefully] when they’re back, they’re full of energy and ready to go.”