University Briefs

0
386

Briefs2

College of medicine at U of S is on probation

The College of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan has been put on probation by its accreditors for the second time. The Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools/Liaison Committee on Medical Education has placed the undergraduate medical program on “accreditation with probation.” Reasons for the ongoing issues with accreditation are attributed to an outdated curriculum and a lack of student diversity. The university’s president addressed concerns, saying students “will be graduating from a fully accredited medical school that happens to be on probation.”

With files from The Sheaf

TWU alumni weekend

Trinity Western University’s Alumni Association recently introduced a new celebration event, their first annual alumni weekend. The event was geared towards welcoming new alumni and creating a sense of unity between alumni, old and new. The weekend included a pancake breakfast, a kids’ zone, alum reunions, soccer games and the “Hey! Ho! Alumni Show.”

The AA’s new direction has the purpose of strengthening the network of alumni, working in conjunction with its other programs like the mentoring program in which working alumni are paired with current TWU students in order to provide them with career opportunities.

With files from Mars’ Hill

MUN resource centres contest audit

The Memorial University of Newfoundland’s Student Union (MUNSU) is imposing an audit of all the student resource centres they fund. Each centre receives $1,000 from the MUNSU, which with be withheld until all the audits are complete. This is a problem for the Disability Information Support Centre, which is resisting the audit on the grounds that the centre deals with confidentiality.

The Student Parent Assistance and Resource Centre also takes issue with the audit since the MUNSU refused to help the centre in past financial situations. Travis Perry, director of finance and services for the MUNSU says the student union will continue to discuss the matters at hand with the various resource centres since the audit is a “practice that [they] want to implement across the board.”

With files from The Muse