Board Shorts

0
438

Board Shorts
SFU Hackspace Project

The Board of Directors discussed a potential Hackspace Project that would culminate in the creation of a hackspace at SFU Burnaby. A hackspace is a workspace where people with common interests, often in technology and digital or electronic art, can come to use tools that they would otherwise be unable to afford or have access to, such as 3D printers.

Currently, there is a Vancouver Hackspace on West Hastings St and space available at SFU Surrey for bookings through IATSU; however the SFSS feels that a Burnaby hackspace would encourage community building at the campus and encourage students from all SFU locations to collaborate. In addition, the space would be useful for engineering students who need specific equipment to complete academic assignments or projects for competitions.

Financial Literacy Workshops

The Advocacy Committee is conducting Financial Literacy Workshops this summer, to be expanded in the fall, as part of a pilot project with Financial Literacy Council. The original purpose of the council was “to help students understand financial basics and to teach them the financial life skills and the discipline necessary to pay off debts and begin saving money.” The Workshops echo these principles, educating students about student loans, savings, taxes, and other financial matters.

The Workshops will be taking place July 23 and 24 from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. and 1:30 to 3:00 p.m., respectively, in Robert C. Brown Hall at SFU Burnaby. Participants are required to pre-register for the 30 spots available for each session. In addition to the free course and refreshments, the participants are eligible for a free one-on-one consultation with a financial professional.