SFU international student killed in car accident

0
746

sfu intl student photo - matthew tichenor : flickr

Zambian native Mwekwa Kaongwa died at scene

By Alison Roach
Photos by Matthew Tichenor / Flickr

The victim of a fatal car crash in downtown Vancouver on Feb. 8 was identified last week as SFU student Mwekwa Kaongwa, a 22 year old engineering student from Zambia. Kaongwa was killed when the white BMW he was driving veered off the viaduct, struck a tree and a pole, and flipped over. Kaongwa died at the scene of the crash.

The accident took place at around 3 a.m. Friday morning on the Georgia Street Viaduct. “It is early in the investigation, but police believe speed is a factor in the crash,” said Vancouver police spokesman Constable Brian Montague in a press release. Police have not confirmed witness reports that street racing may have played a part in the crash. “We may not know all of the contributing factors, other than speed, for some time,” said Montague.

The other three passengers, all between the ages of 20 and 24 years old and also from Zambia, survived the crash. The other victims of the crash were transported to hospital with “very serious and life-threatening injuries,” Montague stated. All three are expected to survive. Kaongwa’s name was not released immediately following the crash, pending notification of next of kin. The SFU African Student Association (ASA) announced Kaongwa’s death “with great sorrow” on their Facebook page shortly after the accident. A small spiritual service was held the following Sunday morning at Restoration Church on the SFU Surrey campus, attended by Kaongwa’s close friends and classmates.

SFU officials declined to release any personal information on Kaongwa, out of respect for those close to him. SFU director of projects Chris Rogerson, did speak on behalf of the university. “What I can say is that we are always very saddened by such news, when a young person is taken away so suddenly,” stated Rogerson.

Rogerson went on to state that the university is currently working with the family and friends of Kaongwa, “to make sure they have the necessary support in this difficult time.” A group of friends of the deceased are also working to put together a public, open memorial service for him, which will hopefully be attended by Kaongwa’s family.

The memorial is tentatively planned for Feb. 23. Rogerson was able to confirm that other people involved in the accident are affiliated with SFU as well, but could not go into numbers or detail. “We’re trying to support those people who need help at this point in time, and their personal privacy is theirs to keep,” he explained. Rogerson also emphasized the open accessibility of SFU health and counselling staff to anyone who may need support at this time.

Mica-El Mumba, a friend of Kaongwa’s, later spoke to his death, as reported by The Vancouver
Sun. “What I want them to know most about him is that he was a very open guy, very loving guy. And he used to work very hard,” said Mumba, “He was very passionate about what he did and I know that that passion was very contagious. And he was a great guy.”

This latest accident has elicited calls from the community to get rid of the bridges altogether. The Georgia Street Viaduct, which was originally built to be part of a freeway connecting to Highway 1, instead curves abruptly to join Prior Street.

The City of Vancouver has said it plans to remove both the Georgia and Dunsmuir Street viaducts, a move that Vancouver City Councillor Geoff Meggs said would make the Strathcona neighbourhood safer, according to CTV News.

“People do come off the viaducts if they’re not paying attention at excessive rates of speeds. As a result there’s a lot of danger for people who are trying to work and live in their own neighbourhood,” stated Meggs. For now, the investigation into the devastating accident continues while friends and classmates of Kaongwa mourn his loss.