Thompson Rivers student union to create LGBTQ collective

0
437

Omega Pride CUP

TRUSU hopes to implement the idea that has been discussing since last year

By Justine Cleghorn
Photos by Justine Cleghorn / The Omega

KAMLOOPS (CUP) — The Thompson Rivers University Students’ Union (TRUSU) is planning to add a Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer and Questioning (LGBTQ) collective to the union after its annual general meeting on Jan. 24. 50 votes endorsing the creation of a LGBTQ collective are needed to secure its formation.

The only way to create a new advocacy representative on the council within TRUSU bylaws is through the annual general meeting, said TRUSU president Dustin McIntyre. “That’s why we didn’t do it when we first got into office. We had to wait and create the proper paper work.” The formation of the LGBTQ collective has been a priority for TRUSU since last year. “Right now, not having the LGBTQ collective is silencing a community that should have a voice,” said Alexandra Moulton, head of the women’s collective.

A pride collective “will make room for all people with different gender and sexual constructions to have a space for advocacy,” she added. A club is like a social gathering, whereas a collective is a more structured, hands-on approach to talk about issues, said Katie Hutfluss, a council member since April 2012 and one of the main organizers of last year’s pride parade. “This is where people learn about themselves, and we want to be that support group and tell them that being gay is okay,” she said.

“One of the biggest things that I have found is although more and more people are coming out, a lot of people are still very scared,” said pride club member Corey Keith. “They are afraid of being discriminated against.” He continued: “Having a collective allows for the creation of a safe space and a community that can share experience and information at a higher level . . . It’s not just about putting on a fun event, it is also about creating safety and awareness.”

An estimated 350 people participated in the Kamloops pride parade in April 2012. “The response to the pride parade is a testament to why we need a pride collective,” Moulton said. “I’m really excited for it because I think it is something that we need on this campus and as well as in Kamloops as a community,” McIntyre said. “My fingers are really crossed that it goes through.” TRUSU also hopes to add a graduate students collective to the union following this year’s AGM.