University Briefs

0
427

By Graham Cook

Trinity Western faculty contemplate unionization

Faculty members at Trinity Western University have informally approached the Christian Labour Association of Canada to discuss how they could make changes within their workplace. According to employees, the university administration would rather not have a unionized faculty at TWU and the process is still in its early stages. If 45 per cent of the proposed bargaining unit signs union cards, the Labour Board will hold a vote within ten days.

With files from Mars’ Hill

————————

University of PEI campus hit by pro-life chalkings

Pro-life student group Students For Life left anti-abortion messages and drawings in chalk for students of The University of Prince Edward Island on the morning of Oct. 9. The messages included phrases such as “Life is Beautiful,” “Right to Life,” and “I am happy you were born!” In addition the groups drew a development of a fetus during its time in the womb along one walkway. The message was apparently poorly received by the student body, some of whom commented that it was difficult to relate to and too “in-your-face.”

With files from The Cadre

————————

Anti-police brutality march in Montreal remains calm

The protest against police brutality, which saw around 200 activists gather at Place Emilie-Gamelin in Montreal on Oct. 6, stayed very peaceful, with only one arrest recorded. The protestors marched through the streets of downtown Montreal to condemn the dismissal of complaints levied against the behaviour of police officers during the tuition protests. Though the protest was declared illegal due to its lack of a submitted march route, it ended up being authorized as long as it remained peaceful. The lone arrest was apparently for setting off a flare, and the offender was released with a ticket.

With files from The Concordian

————————

McMaster University serversí security breached in ëhacktivistí protest

In alleged protest of the decline of post-secondary education along with the increase of tuition rates, a group of anonymous hackers compromised the servers of 100 universities worldwide, including Ontario’s McMaster University. According to McMaster Public Relations, the information that was accessed was generally older and, in some cases, publically available. There is no sign of confidential credit card or user information being disclosed, though degree dates were.  The attack was apparently part of Project WestWind carried out by hacking group Team GhostShell.

With files from The Silhouette

————————

Crown appeals sentence of UBC student charged in Stanley Cup riot 

For his role in the 2011 Stanley Cup riot, UBC student Alexandre Peepre was charged with assault and taking part in a riot. The 21-year-old political science student was sentenced to 60 days in jail in September. However, the punishment came with the stipulation that the time is served from 7 p.m. on Fridays to 5 p.m. on Sundays, so that Peepre would be able to finish his degree. During the riot, peeper helped flip a 1996 GMC Sierra truck and punched Cameron Brown, a man who was trying to put out a trash-can fire.

With files from The Ubyssey