Tough week for women’s soccer

0
379

Women’s soccer fails to score goals in two losing games

By Bryan Scott

Simon Fraser Women’s soccer had a tough week on the pitch. They began with a one-goal loss on Terry Fox Field on Sept. 8 to the Academy of Art Urban Knights from San Francisco. The teams remained scoreless after the first half, despite the Clan outshooting their opponents 4–1. The Urban Knights picked up their play in the second half, they came back to outshoot the clan 7–6 in the game and they buried the only goal they would need in the 62nd minute, there was a defensive breakdown and the Knights took advantage. “We had trouble attacking, and we didn’t string passes together, which kept us from scoring,” explained Clan midfielder Aja Choy-Halo.

The Clan then traveled to Lacey, WA, to do battle against the Saints from Saint Martins University, on Sept. 13.  The first half was intense. “The game was played pretty evenly in the first half, we both had some quality opportunities,” said head coach Shelley Howieson. The Saints fired 11 shots on the net to the Clan’s three in the game. Goaltender Amanda Gilliand was good, making three saves, but it was not enough. With only 12 seconds on the clock, the Saints dealt the fatal blow by putting it in the back of the net, dashing the hopes of the Clan and taking the game 1–0.

It seems the bounces did not go the right way for the Clan this week as they move to 1–3 on the season and remain 0–1 in conference play.