University Briefs

0
470

By Ariane Madden

Concordia permits use of transgender chosen names
Transgendered students at Concordia University in Montreal will now be permitted to use their chosen names — rather than birth names — on school identification cards and other university documents. This comes after a two-year campaign by the campus’s Centre for Gender Advocacy. Birth names will continue to be used on transcripts for legal purposes only.

Quebec students reject government concessions
Quebec students continued their strikes over proposed tuition hikes after rejecting a late April concession by the provincial government. The proposal, which would double the current tuition rates, would spread the hikes over seven years instead of five years and boost provincial bursary funding.

Trent announces Cayman Islands partnership
Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario announced a new partnership with the University College of the Cayman Islands last week. The partnership will expand student exchanges as well as research and international conference initiatives.

Lakehead student union to challenge board of directors in court
The student union at Lakehead University in Ontario has vowed to challenge the university’s board of directors in court following a new bylaw barring student representatives from discussions where they may be viewed as having a conflict of interest, such as in the case of tuition hikes. The school says that lawyers were consulted in the drafting of the bylaw, which applies to all members of the board.

Student project causes bomb scare at FNUC
The Regina police explosives unit was called to the First Nations University of Canada last week after a student project was mistaken to be a bomb. Students approached police to call off the detonation of the suspicious package, identifying it as a part of their GPS tracking project for a class.

– Ariane Madden