University Briefs

0
446

By Ariane Madden

Instructor strike at Brock causes problems

Thirty-eight English as a Second Language instructors at Brock University went on strike last week, causing transit back-ups as they blocked the entrance to campus. Negotiations from a previously-closed labour contract dispute broke down after an error in the contract text was unable to be resolved.

Memorial aboriginal seats protected

A provincial program which reserves seats for aboriginal students in classes shall remain protected by Memorial University administration. The protection will ensure that the seats cannot be challenged by external students because the saved seats still require the aboriginal students to meet entrance requirements and are not an admission guarantee.

U of C to boost aboriginal enrolment

The University of Calgary has announced a new strategy to recruit and enrol aboriginal students to the university. The new vice president, academic stated that the school has low aboriginal enrolments given the three nearby aboriginal bands.

UBC enrolment targets international students

The University of British Columbia has revealed its enrolment strategy for the coming academic year, streamlining admission requirements to attract more international students. The administration outlined that the strategy may also increase domestic enrolments, but that the streamlining should help alleviate underrepresentation of international students in the sciences.

Qatar donates $1.25 million to McGill

Qatar recently donated $1.25 million to the Institute of Islamic Studies at McGill University. The donation is intended to assist the planning of a series of conferences over the next year as the university celebrates its 60th birthday.

— Ariane Madden