University Briefs

0
432

By Ariane Madden

VCC bans bottled water sales

Vancouver Community College voted last week to ban the sale of bottled water on campus starting spring 2013. The college will be the first post-secondary institution in greater Vancouver to ban bottled water sales, citing sustainability as a primary reason for the move.

B.C. government pledges for new ECUAD campus

Despite recent cutbacks to university funding, the government of British Columbia has pledged $1.7 million to assist in the building and moving of the Emily Carr University of Art and Design campus. The university, which currently caters to approximately 2,000 students at its Granville Island campus, hopes to build a new facility on Great Northern Way in Vancouver, near UBC’s department of art history and theory facility.

UBC cleared of animal cruelty allegations

An investigation in March found no evidence of animal cruelty at a University of British Columbia research facility. The allegations claimed that macaque monkeys were improperly treated and unnecessarily killed during the course of a Parkinson’s study last year.

London college suspends students over riots

Fanshawe College recently suspended eight students believed to be involved in the St. Patrick’s Day riots, which occurred near the college campus last week. The riots appear to have begun as a result of severe intoxication and caused approximately $100,000 damage to the small Ontario city.

Severed coyote head found at MUN residences

The frozen, severed head of a coyote was found in a plastic bag last week near the student residences of Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Police determined that the remains appeared to have originated from a university study and that the placing of the remains in the residences was likely a student prank.

-Ariane Madden