SFU joins AUFC

0
565

<strong>By <a href=”http://159.203.128.194/tag/jennifer-bednard”>Jennifer Bednard</a></strong>

SFU the first British Columbian university to be accepted into the association of thirteen francophone universities

In the future, French language education and research at SFU will receive greater support on a national level. As of January 9, Simon Fraser University became an official member of the Association des universités de la francophonie canadienne (AUFC), an association of 13 officially francophone or bilingual universities across Canada including Laurentian University, Ottawa University, and the University of Moncton. The association’s mandate is to maintain the value of French as an official language and promote the learning and teaching of French at a university level. SFU is the first university in British Columbia to become a member of the AUFC.

“There were a number of criteria to become part of the association,” explained Claire Trépanier, director of the Office of Francophone and Francophile Affairs, “one of them was that the university had to deliver undergraduate and graduate programs that were taught in French in a variety of disciplines. [We] have the undergraduate program that is usually taught in French called the French Cohort Program, a program in administration and community services, and in the graduate programs, we have masters and a doctorate in the Faculty of Education that are completely taught in French. Another one that was important was that SFU delivers diplomas to cohorts of students who took those programs. Thirdly, [a criteria] that was very important was that SFU had to have an administrative structure that functions in French. In this case, it’s the Office of Francophone and Francophile Affairs.”

Trépanier added that both the university and the students would benefit from SFU’s membership in the AUFC. “One benefit is to provide visibility to SFU at the national level, in terms of post-secondary education in French. Another important one is to support the development of partnerships between those Canadian institutions so faculty members can get support for research that is done in French. And, a third one, which is very good for students, is to give access to bursaries for French immersion and francophone students pursuing studies in French, whether it’s here or through, for example, an exchange program in a francophone institution.”

SFU applied to become a member of the association in the fall, with the support of President Petter and Bill Krane, associate vice president, academic. “It’s key that the senior administration supports the kinds of programs that are being developed here and delivered at SFU,” said Trépanier, “ As director of OFFA, I believe that SFU is making a great contribution to fulfill the educational needs of the B.C. francophone and francophile community, and it is giving the French language the place it deserves in B.C.”