Cody Hodgson has arrived

0
537

By Adam Ovenell-Carter

The Peak recently published an article saying Vancouver Canucks centre Cody Hodgson needed to step up. Apparently he reads our newspaper.

The 21-year-old rookie has had a sensational start to the new year, and has not only solidified his spot on the team, but has locked down the third-line centre role as well. He recorded 10 points in the month of January — six of them goals — and has vaulted himself into serious Calder Trophy talks as the league’s best freshman.

It did help that Edmonton’s young phenom Ryan Nugent-Hopkins missed significant time with an injury, but don’t let that take anything away from Hodgson’s play of late. His 14 goals are, at this moment, second among all rookies, while his 30 points are good for fourth, only five behind  Nugent-Hopkins’ 35. And even though the Oilers’ star missed a number of games, he still has played far more minutes than Hodgson has this season.

Admittedly, Hodgson has had much more professional experience than Nugent-Hopkins and other top rookies, and that has no doubt helped his play. But frankly, he’s still rather fortunate to be in this position. A serious back injury threatened to derail his career before it ever really got going. Then, a freak jaw injury while playing with the Canucks AHL afilliate, then the Manitoba Moose, took the young centre back out of the lineup barely after returning. Of course, being the 10th overall pick in any draft comes with serious expectation — and with a fan base as fickle and demanding as Vancouver’s, Hodgson’s slowed development left the city wanting more, if not a trade.

Needless to say, he’s finally starting to tap into all that potential, and those trade rumours have died down significantly over the past month. His January efforts earned him Rookie of the Month honours, while his play this season earned him a selection as one of the rookies invited to the NHL All-Star Game in Ottawa.

Hockey fans on the west coast like to complain about the lack of attention the Canucks get, but it seems as though Vancouver fans and the rest of the league are starting to notice Hodgson at the same time. To his credit, he has been putting on quite a show.

He hasn’t ‘stolen’ anyone’s job, as many have suggested, for Manny Malhotra and Maxim Lapierre still have their own distinct roles on the team. Hodgson has just been playing fantastic hockey. As the third centreman behind Art Ross-winning Henrik Sedin and Selke-winning Ryan Kesler, he’s not likely to get top-flight minutes like those two, or even the likes of Nugent-Hopkins. You’ll never hear him complain about his ice time (or lack thereof). Instead, you’ll see him make the most of every chance he gets, quietly and efficiently, like he’s been doing for a while now.

The Calder Trophy would be nice, and Hodgson has openly admitted that. If he continues at the pace he established in January, then the award is not far-fetched. On a team like the Oilers, he’d likely be getting first-line minutes and likely be potting a few more points, but it goes without saying that if a smaller role on this team now earns the Canucks a much bigger piece of hardware later, Cody Hodgson would gladly go without the Calder. In the meantime, however, enjoy the ride aboard the number-nine train; it’s only getting better.