By: Isabella Urbani, Sports Editor
- Abigail Andrews: backstroke and freestyle swimmer from St. John’s, Newfoundland, who won seven events at her high school’s provincial championships.
- Grace Arnott: breaststroke and backstroke swimmer from Calgary, Alberta, who competed at the 2023 Western Canadian Championships.
- Kayla Houlder: sprint freestyle swimmer from Milton, Ontario, who won two medals at the 2023 Eastern Canadian Championships.
- Chloe Mcara: freestyle swimmer from Montréal, Québec, who competed at the 2019 Eastern Canadian Championships.
- Laine Perry: freestyle and backstroke swimmer from Comox, BC, who won four medals at the 2023 Vancouver Island Regional Short-Course Championships.
- Nicole Petrisor: sprint freestyle and individual medley swimmer from Richmond Hill, Ontario, who won the 50-metre freestyle at the 2023 Winter Ontario Youth-Junior Championships.
- Rachel Tong: butterfly and freestyle swimmer from Burnaby, BC, who won two medals at the 2023 Swim BC Winter Provincial Championships.
- Thomas Caruso: backstroke and individual medley swimmer from Lindell Beach, BC, who won the 2023 Bell Canadian Swimming’s 200-metre backstroke junior national championship.
- Gaspar Lazure: butterfly and freestyle sprint swimmer from Windsor, Ontario, who won three events at the 2023 Eastern Canadian Championships.
- Mateja Mesic: backstroke, individual medley, and breaststroke swimmer from Belle River, Ontario, who competed at the 2023 Eastern Canadian Championships.
- Peter Morch: freestyle swimmer from Lantzville, BC, who won two bronze medals at the 2023 Winter Provincial Championships.
- Owen Nicholson: distance freestyle and individual medley swimmer from Halifax, Nova Scotia, who won a bronze medal for Canada at the 2023 Best Fest Open Water Festival.
- Jordan Raume: freestyle and breaststroke swimmer from Comox, BC, who holds nine records for the Comox Valley Aquatic Club.
- Lochlan Rogers: freestyle sprint swimmer from Victoria, BC, who is a two-time Canadian Junior Swimming Championships award winner.
- Luka Tomic: butterfly swimmer from Kitchener, Ontario, who was the sole member of his swim team to compete at the 2022 Eastern Canadian Championships.
- Hayden Visscher: breaststroke swimmer from St. Albert, Alberta, who competed for Canada at last year’s Junior Pan Pacific Swimming Championships.
- The swim team will make the switch to the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference to begin the season.
- Sophomore, Monyo Maina, competed for Kenya at the 2023 FINA World Aquatics Championships in the 100 and 200-metre freestyle. He was joined by SFU coach, Demone Tissira.
- SFU assistant coach, Dexter Bligh, resigned after one season to become the head coach of Camana Bay Aquatic Club.
- Sophomore, Randon Hall, was a recipient of the Academic Achievement Award, winner of his second Faculty Athletic Representative Scholar-Athlete Award, and Nadine Caron Top Scholar-Athlete for the highest GPA with a 4.31 CGPA as a mathematical physics student.
Track and Field
- Jacob Hall: sprints runner from North Bend, Washington, who has competed for the US at the Track & Field National Junior Olympic Championships.
- Liam O’Donnell: sprints runner from Surrey, BC, who won the 100-metre in the U-20 BC Championship Jamboree.
- Kerlinda Chatwin: sprints and triple jump athlete from Surrey, BC, who competed at the 2022 Canadian Track and Field Championships.
- Gemma Dumas: middle distance and distance runner from Delta, BC, who will compete for SFU in both track and cross country.
- Serena Kennedy-Hailu: sprints runner from Port Coquitlam, BC, who finished third at last year’s 100-metre high school provincial championships.
- Grace Mack: middle distance and distance runner from St John’s, Newfoundland, who competed at last year’s Canada Summer Games.
- Steph Millar: middle distance runner from Lake Country, BC, who won the 2023 800-metre Okanagan Zone championship.
- Senior, Emily Chilton, junior, Diana Voloshin, sophomores, Ella Marion, Maddy Paug, Mitchell Gibbs, Jorrin Lenton, and Jordan Schmidt, were named to the 2023 College Sports Communicators Division II Academic All-District Track and Field/Cross Country Teams.
- Gibbs and Paugh were two of 10 recipients of the Nadine Caron Top 10 Scholar-Athletes Award.
- Gibbs, Lenton, Paugh, Schmidt, and Voloshin win the the Faculty Athletic Representative Scholar-Athlete Award for having a 3.85 CGPA or higher.
- Last year’s GNAC Rookie of the Year, Marie-Éloïse Leclair, was named 2023 Outdoor Track and Field Female Athlete of the Year. She is also the SFU women’s individual sport Athlete of the Year.
- Women’s track and field team was named President’s Team of the Year.
- Javelin thrower Jarrett Chong was the SFU men’s Freshman of the Year.
- Women’s track and field team earned NCAA Div. II All-Academic Team honours.