SFU men’s basketball drop first two home games of GNAC season

Saint Martin’s University and Seattle Pacific University score big on Burnaby Mountain

Not much went the Clan's way on the two-game home stand. (Photo courtesy of SFU Athletics)

On Thursday, January 3 and Saturday, January 5, the Clan played their first two games of the calendar year against the Saint Martin’s University Saints and the Seattle Pacific University Falcons. The games were also the first two home games of the SFU’s GNAC season. Unfortunately for the home side, however, neither game went as planned, with both opponents finding it too easy to score against the Clan defence.

Game 1 vs. Saint Martin’s University

While the Clan played well for some stretches, Saint Martin’s went on a couple of huge runs that made it impossible for SFU to get back into the game. For example, a 19–0 run to start the game for SMU took the life out of the West Gym.

After being down by as much as 30–4, however, the Clan played the rest of the first half the way they wish they would’ve started out. A 9–0 run capped off by a three-pointer from guard Othniel Spence brought some life back into the gym, and the home team were able to go into the break by a more respectable score of 51–37. This came after Rhett Baerlocher scored a buzzer beating three to end the first half of play.

Any chance of a comeback was nulled in the opening minutes of the second half, as the Saints went up by 24 with less than 14 minutes left in the frame. The Clan were unable to cut the lead to less than 16 points from then on, as Saint Martin’s cruised to a 20-point win.

The Saints were led by BJ Stanley, who had 22 points on only seven field goal attempts, going 12–12 from the free-throw line.

For the Clan, Spence had a solid game, leading SFU with 17 points and three three-pointers.

Game 2 vs. Seattle Pacific University

The Clan would not have much better luck on Saturday when they took on the Falcons.

While they did not get off to a rough start like Thursday’s game, keeping the game within five points for the first nine minutes or so, the end of the first half cost the Clan any chance of a victory. Seattle went on a 22–4 run to end the half, taking a 49–25 lead into halftime. SFU could hardly buy a bucket during this time, while SPU had their way in getting into the point on the offensive end.

Being down by such a large deficit, the Clan were always going to have a hard time coming back, and unsurprisingly, they were unable to do so. They would eventually lose by a score of 94–66.

The Falcons did a good job of scoring by committee, while the Clan only had two players (Julian Roche and Wilfried Balata) in double figures. Both players also shot over 50% from the floor.

What’s next:

SFU will now hit the road for a three game road trip, facing off against Central Washington, Northwest Nazarene, and Western Washington University. Their next game is against Central Washington University on Thursday, January 10. Tip off for that one is at 7:30 p.m.