New and improved appreciation days!

I don’t appreciate our current appreciation days, so here are some alternatives!

0
500
Illustrations by Hannah Zaitlin

By: Kathy Mak

We used to only celebrate all the standard holidays – Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s, etc. But now, we get national appreciation days for almost anything! From Cat Appreciation Day, Pancake Appreciation Day, and Eye Colour Appreciation Day (seriously??), everything is pretty much covered. However, we at The Peak scratched our heads and came up with four new awesome appreciation days for you to celebrate!

• National Wooden Chair Day

I’m betting we’ve all sat on a wooden chair that used to be four-legged but now it’s three-legged and squeaks when your ass is even a millimetre away from it. It’s time we start appreciating these hardcore pieces of furniture because they are way more comfortable than those soft plushy cushions called ‘sofas’ or ‘armchairs.’ As a bonus, wooden chairs are great for training your ass to become more solid and better at enduring sitting in SFU’s chairs!

• National Sanity Day

Let’s face it — life is hard. With its overwhelming number of obstacles and hardships we need to get through every day, minute, and second of our lives, so why not have a day where we can celebrate the fact that we’ve all come a long way?! And, hopefully, we can celebrate the fact that we’re all still somewhat sane.

• National Hairclips Day

If there’s a National Paperclip Day, there’s got to be a day dedicated to hair clips because they’re just as important! Shower every inch of hair with ten or more clips! This way you’ll be able to showcase those wonderful mini tools to the world. But that’s not all — attach another dozen or more hair clips to your clothing, from the neckline of your shirt to the bottom of your shoes, and tell the world how important hairclips are!

• National My Own Call Day

Who the fuck can keep count of all the appreciation days that get created every millisecond? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a day where you could celebrate a jumble of things that YOU appreciate the most? Totally flexible, totally you! Instead of following the same old shit, come up with your own day!