Famous musicians and bands from Canada

Musicians to be proud of on the 150th birthday of the frozen wastes we call home

0
647
(Alex Bloom / The Peak)

By: Alex Bloom and Edna Batengas

Tory Lanez: This Canadian hip-hop artist from Brampton, Ontario is most known for his hit singles “Say It” and “Luv” which landed on the Billboard Hot 100.

Fun fact: His birth name is Daystar Peterson and he’s producing a film entitled I Told You. – EB

Drake: Born in Toronto, Ontario, this multi-Grammy-award-winning Canadian rapper, songwriter, and actor is famous for his role in the teenage drama Degrassi: The Next Generation and his hit songs “Hotline Bling,”One Dance,” and “Take Care.”

Fun fact: He has done voice acting, appearing in Ice Age: Continental Drift as Ethan the mammoth. – EB

A Tribe Called Red: The group is comprised of Ian “DJ NDN” Campeau, Tim “2oolman” Hill, and Ehren “Bear Witness” Thomas who are of the Nipissing, Six Nations Mohawk, and Cayuga nations respectively. The trio hails from Ottawa, Ontario and is known for their electrifying beats that blend various forms of Indigenous music with music styles like hip hop, reggae, and dubstep, among others. They recently released a new EP in 2016 called Stadium Pow Wow.

Not-so-fun fact: At one of their concerts, they had so many white people wearing culturally appropriated “Indian” headdresses that they refused to play until they all took them off. – AB

Billy Talent: Hailing from Mississauga, Ontario, this punk rock band consists of frontman Benjamin Kowalewicz, guitarist Ian D’Sa, bassist Jon Gallant, and last but not least, drummer Aaron Solowoniuk. They achieved worldwide success with their second album, Billy Talent II and are best known for songs such as “Fallen Leaves,” “Rusted from the Rain,” and “Red Flag.”

Fun fact: The band has been together since high school and remains together to this day. – AB

k-os: Originally from Toronto, Ontario, the Canadian-born rapper is best known for songs like “Crabbuckit,” “Man I Used To Be,” and “Sunday Morning.” His original style incorporates elements of jazz, electronic music, and hip hop through his own brand of highly poetic rapping and singing.

Fun fact: k-os stands for “knowledge of self.” – AB

Celine Dion: Born in Charlemagne, Quebec, no list of Canadian musicians would be complete without her. She is by far one of the better-known Canadians out there. Some of her most famous songs are “My Heart Will Go On” and “Nothing Broken but My Heart.” Her success was buoyed somewhat by the use of her music in the hugely successful Titanic.

Fun Fact: Don’t let go, Jack. – AB

Shania Twain: Hailing from Windsor, Ontario this singer-songwriter has broken barriers in the music industry, being one of the most successful women in her field. Best known for songs like “Party for Two”, “Don’t!”, and “Shoes.”

Fun fact: It is rumoured that she will make a small appearance in the fourth season of the series Broad City.