Wonder Woman: the DCEU finally gets something right

Following several DC disappointments, Gal Gadot’s performance in Wonder Woman is well worth a watch

0
1313
(Image courtesy of Warner Bros.)

By: Vanessa Romein

As the fourth film in the dubiously successful DC Extended Universe (DCEU) lineup, Wonder Woman is perhaps the first to merit any real attention, not just from DC fans, but also from action and fantasy fans in general. Though not an outstanding film by any particular measure, Wonder Woman does a solid job of keeping audiences both entertained and engaged all movie long.

Set during WWI, the film covers the origin story of Princess Diana (Gal Gadot) of the Amazonian island of Themyscira, who goes on to become the Wonder Woman who appeared briefly in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and will supposedly play a big role in the upcoming Justice League. However, no knowledge of her role in the comics or the rest of the DCEU is necessary to sit back and enjoy this one.

The film covers Diana’s departure from her idyllic island home, prompted by the crash landing of Captain Steve Trevor (Chris Pine), the first man she’s ever met. Believing that it is her duty to intercede in the war, she follows him off the island and is forced to reconcile her view of humanity and the world with what she thought was true. At the same time, she has to deal with an entirely different culture and the reality of large-scale warfare in the early twentieth century.

Despite its heavy setting and theme, the film carries itself lightly, keeping up a steady stream of banter between Diana and Steve and introducing a lineup of ethnically diverse and often amusing minor characters.

As for the acting, Gadot maintains a commanding and passionate presence on-screen, even during some of the more comedic moments. Co-star Pine does a fantastic job of bringing to life a character that has nothing particularly distinguishing about him besides his military position and an unexplained but alluded-to past. Their on-screen chemistry is certainly appreciable, and together they do much of the film’s heavy lifting on both the emotional and comedic fronts.

The action sequences, often featuring a combination of guns, bombs, and Diana’s Amazonian weapons, provide a feel reminiscent of 300 or Sucker Punch. A combination of slow motion and creative angles make for dynamic and engrossing fight scenes, and the Amazonians’ highly athletic style of combat is stunning. Among Diana’s iconic weapons are her bullet-stopping bracelets of submission, used plentifully, and the Lasso of Truth, both a weapon and a plot device as it is used in a variety of creative ways. Both make for unique and visually interesting elements  throughout the film.

Altogether, Wonder Woman is worth a watch for anyone looking to be entertained, and certainly a big step above what the DCEU has put forth so far. With any luck, the trend will continue in Justice League.