SFU women’s softball sweeps Montana State

0
425
Stephanie Caron (at bat) scored a run and added two RBIs on the second game.

The SFU Clan Women’s Softball Team exploded for 27 runs this weekend, sweeping a four-game home set against the Montana State-Billings Yellowjackets. The Clan is now on a five game GNAC win-streak early in their Conference Schedule. Not only was the offence clicking this weekend, the pitching and defence were also fantastic as SFU yielded only six total runs.

In the first tilt of Saturday’s double header, the Clan prevailed in a competitive 4–2 victory. The teams played scoreless baseball for the first four innings before Montana State-Billings notched two runs in the top of the fifth. SFU did not panic, though, and promptly scored four runs in the bottom half of the frame. Leadoff hitter Taylor Gillis knocked in the Clan’s first run and then managed to steal home for a 2–0 advantage. Slugger Nicole Ratel then came to the plate and belted a two-run home run to round out the scoring. SFU ace Alia Stachoski pitched a complete game four hitter, raising her record to 6–3 on the season.

In the second game on Saturday, the Clan bombed Montana State-Billings with seven first inning runs en route to a 10–1 victory. A balanced offensive attack saw Stephanie Caron scored a run and post two runs batted in (RBIs), Rachel Proctor scored two runs and had three RBIs, and Alex Baylak also scored and knocked in two. Tori Belton and Jessica Goulet combined to yield just the one run on five hits, with Belton securing her fifth win of the season. 

Sunday was all SFU, with the Clan building a five run lead on the way to a 6–2 victory in game one. In the opening matchup, Taylor Gillis continued her fine play with a two-run homer. Marina DeAngelis scored two runs and had one RBI. Nicole Ratel added a clutch single which cashed in two big runs. Pitching on no rest, Alia Stachoski notched her seventh win on the season by yielding just one earned run in 5 1/3 innings.

The Clan’s strong play concluded as they took out the brooms and sent the Yellowjackets on the bus home to dusty Montana with a 7–0 shellacking. SFU managed to score seven runs despite not having a single extra base hit in the game. Stephanie Caron gave another solid performance, recording two RBIs and scoring two runs. Kendra Goodman was two for three with a run, Alex Baylak was two for three with an RBI, and Jessica Goulet got the win pitching 4 1/3 scoreless innings.   

The sweep was particularly impressive and satisfying for the team. As Head Coach Mike Renney said, he “suspect[ed Montana-Billings to be] a stronger team than we have seen in the past.” Coach Renney also explained that Montana State was a “team we have had trouble with in recent years.” 

SFU is now 14–10 on the season and 5–3 in GNAC Conference play.