SFU drops an overtime thriller

0
476
Ellen Kent (right) was ejected from the game after her fifth personal foul in overtime

The SFU Clan Women’s Basketball team suffered a 6156 defeat in an overtime thriller to the Seattle Pacific University Falcons this Saturday. The loss dropped the Clan to 129 on the season and 106 overall in GNAC Conference play.

At halftime, the Clan was in control with a 3419 lead. Alisha Roberts had the hot hand in the first half draining five three-point shots on eight attempts. Point Guard Ellen Kent did a masterful job of setting up Roberts with crisp cross court passes, nimble drive and kicks, and subtle screens. SFU showed incredible ball movement throughout the half, which included one possession where there were eight passes before Rachel Fradgley scored on a nifty low post move.

The second half saw the Clan extend the lead to 3819 after a Samantha Beauchamp basket on a sick behind the back dribble penetration from Kent, and a Kent coast to coast righty layup. Seattle Pacific then ran off a 234 run to tie the game at 42. Sophie Swant momentarily broke the Falcons’ momentum with a three-pointer after a frantic possession, and Samantha Beauchamp had two spectacular blocked shots on back to back possessions to keep the game tight. On a loose ball with 3:14 left in the game, a Seattle Pacific player hit the ground and the referees quizzically charged Kent with a technical foul; her fourth total foul in the game. With 49 seconds remaining, Seattle Pacific’s Julia Haining sunk a clutch three pointer to tie the game. Neither team scored the rest of the way, sending the game to overtime.

In overtime, Ellen Kent drove for a layup and Elisa Homer sunk a clutch three-pointer which brought the Clan within two points of the lead. With 1:34 remaining, Kent was charged with a questionable hand checking foul which disqualified her from play because it was her fifth of the game. It also put Seattle Pacific at the free throw line where they made one of two attempts to take a 5855 lead. SFU moved to 5856 on a Swant free throw.

What followed was a wild finish that saw Elisa Homer steal a Seattle Pacific pass and launch a potential game winning three pointer with ten seconds left. The Clan then fouled a Seattle player who made one of two free throws to put the Clan down 5956 with possession and a chance to tie on a three pointer. Coach Bruce Langford called timeout and during the stoppage in play was whistled for a technical foul, essentially ending the game by granting Seattle Pacific free throws.

Coach Langford accepted responsibility after the game, stating, “I deserved a T for what I said.” He continued, “I do think we have improved and really showed it tonight but that short bench hurt us and we tired in the fourth quarter.”