Laugh Track: An interview with Jacob Samuel

0
564
Illustration by Janis McMath

When it comes to comedy in Vancouver, Jacob Samuel is the epitome of a multitasker. In addition to producing the monthly WHY? Stand-up and performing his own stand-up, Samuel also regularly publishes original comics on the website The Daily Snooze. (He also contributed comics to your favourite SFU newspaper, The Peak, back in 2012.) Read on to learn more about how The Simpsons plays into Samuel’s comedic origins, his proudest moments in comedy, and reflecting on being a terrible young person with his new show Teenage Dirtbag.

When did your relationship with comedy first begin?

I think it started because I watched The Simpsons, like three to four times a day every day after school. It’s a certain brand of comedy that really turns you onto other types of comedy. I was actually never that into stand-up growing up; I wanted to be a writer, and my ideal job was to be a writer on The Simpsons. [. . .] When I was growing up I mumbled a lot, and I wasn’t really a performer, so that’s why I got into cartooning — to become a joke writer in any way possible. And then I sort of realized there was no way to meet anyone or network. You had to perform, otherwise no one takes you seriously; you’re just typing at home.

When I started doing stand-up, because it was never a dream of mine, I figured I had nothing to lose with it. I was expecting to kind of fail and not be good at it, so that made it easier, emotionally. But it was the right way to go about it.

How did you get into drawing comics?

I did my undergrad at McGill and there’s a humour magazine there called the Red Herring and I enjoyed reading it, so I thought I’d contribute. I showed up late to a meeting and everyone was introducing themselves and I tried to make a joke and no one laughed, so I left and never went back. I was so afraid of rejection from strangers. I had a few cartoon ideas I was trying to get someone else to draw, but they weren’t getting around to it, so I just did it. Even though I was really, really bad at drawing, I enjoyed the process a lot. So I’d post them on my blog and my friends would see it and people would be very nice and complimentary, so I started to think maybe I can be funny.

Our family friend is the cartoonist for the National Post, so I met with him and said I was interested in it, and he said “It doesn’t really matter how good your drawings are, as long as you’re getting your idea across and being funny. Being funny is more important than drawing.” So it was pretty encouraging.

What’s the proudest moment that’s come from comedy, either from stand-up or cartoons?

For cartoons, probably the second time I sold one to The New Yorker. Because the first one, I thought it might just be a fluke, so I wanted to get at least more than one. So the second time meant a lot. With the first one, there was so much doubt. I thought, “Really? They picked THAT one?” and I thought they made a mistake. Between the first and second one I got a lot rejected, which is really tough.

With stand-up, I don’t know if there’s a single moment. What’s gratifying is looking back and seeing what I’ve gotten better at since I started. Even before you go on stage, thinking about how much more comfortable you are now. Honestly, the most gratifying thing about stand-up is my parents have heard my material and aren’t ashamed of me.

What do you remember about The Peak from when you contributed years ago?

I was actually pretty raw as a cartoonist. I showed my stuff to the editor and he thought they were great. I would just send in cartoons, and it felt really good because that was one of the first places where I got them published. I didn’t really have much contact with people in The Peak, but it was one of those steps along the way to, “I can do this.” It was a big deal for me at the time.

What can people expect from the new show you’re going to be producing at Hot Art Wet City?

The show’s called Teenage Dirtbag, and you can expect different performers — stand-up, improv, sketch — telling stories and jokes about their most painful memories of growing up. It’s about exploring the idea of why teenagers are shitty, and your relationship with your past self. I like the idea of reflecting on your growth as a person. I meet people as adults and I always wonder what they were like as a teenager, or what they would’ve been like in high school.

Do you have any advice for someone looking to get involved with the Vancouver comedy scene?

Try out different forms of comedy. Just because you’re not right for one doesn’t mean you can’t thrive in another. You might be someone who’s not good at performing, but you’re really good at producing shows. [. . .] Maybe you’re good at stand-up, or sketch, or a podcast. A lot of people give up when they’re bad at one thing, but there are a lot of different things you can do to be part of the comedy community.

Check out Jacob Samuel’s co-produced show WHY? Stand-up December 2 at Tangent Cafe, and mark January 16 on your calendar for the debut of his new show, Teenage Dirtbag.