Wolf pack fend off Clan in fourth quarter comeback

0
520
Hamed Yaghoubi Shahir / The Peak

SFU traveled down to Monmouth, Oregon to face GNAC conference rival Western Oregon University on September 12 in a non-conference game. The Clan opened up their season under new head coach Kelly Bates with a loss in which SFU seemed to outplay their opponents.

On the first drive of the game, senior quarterback Ryan Stanford was able to spread the ball around as he completed passes to running back Ante Milanovic-Litre and receivers Justin Buren and Earl Anderson. The effort helped move the chains on the first few drives; however, no points were scored and SFU was forced to punt.

The SFU defense, led by 2014 GNAC Defensive Player of the Year Jordan Herdman, looked sharp to start the game. Unfortunately, penalties hurt the defense as an interception by Jordan Herdman on second and 13 was cancelled due to a ‘roughing the passer’ call on defensive lineman Martin Duckhorn. 

Within the first minute of the second quarter, WOU was able to score on a fifty-three yard punt return by preseason All-American receiver Paul Revis. A missed extra point kept the score at 6–0 with 14:36 left to play in the first half.

Junior Josh Hayden helped the offense answer back on their first drive of the second quarter by catching a pass for forty yards and capping the drive off with a four yard rushing touchdown. Hayden would finish the game with 82 yards rushing on 20 carries and 82 yards receiving.

Quarterback Ryan Stanford was able to engineer a drive in the third quarter that featured a crucial 16 yard reception on third down by Buren and a stealthy touchdown pass to Hayden in the corner of the end zone to cap it off. The Wolves quickly answered back against the SFU defense, and within four plays WOU was in the end zone yet again.

Momentum was still in favor of the Clan, as Stanford connected with receiver Sam Swerhone for 39 yards in the final minutes of the third quarter. This positioned kicker Tiernan Docherty for a 48-yard field goal attempt that was blocked and returned by the Wolves to their own 40-yard line. The consequences of lacking position depth and experience seemed to finally catch up to the Clan as WOU scored two consecutive touchdowns in the fourth quarter to take the lead 25–14.

SFU rallied for a chance to bring the game within three points as Stanford connected with Buren for a 31-yard reception that helped position the offense for a first and ten on the Wolves own 16-yard line. Two plays later and the Wolves were celebrating a pick-six for a comfortable 17 point lead with 1:02 left in the game. Stanford finished the game with 333 passing yards while also throwing one touchdown and two interceptions.

“I loved the fight we had today, but we are not good enough yet to keep it going the entire game,” said Bates after his first game leading the Clan. “We competed hard and had our foot on their throats, but we couldn’t finish them off.” SFU finished the game leading in many statistical categories, but costly mistakes hurt them in the end.

The Clan will look to bounce back at home September 19, hosting the defending GNAC champion Azusa Pacific University Cougars.