Clan poaches Coyotes in home opener

0
390
Lisa Dimyadi

On a beautiful Wednesday evening at Terry Fox field, the SFU Men’s soccer team battled hard to earn their first win of the season with three unanswered goals against California State University San Bernardino. The evening marked an extra special occasion with the university celebrating its 50th anniversary, and new head coach Clint Schneider claimed his first career win with the Clan in front of the home supporters.

“I was pleased with the result and am very proud of the guys getting the first win,” Schneider told The Peak following the match.

“I told the guys that we have a tradition to keep. Fox field is a fortress, we don’t concede goals here, we win games, and we win by big margins.”

Despite the convincing score line, both teams were putting in plenty of energy and a high press to cause plenty of trades in possession and keep scoring chances minimal until the 26th minute. Calvin Opperman picked up a blocked strike sent in from Mamadi Camara and curled a hard left footed ball that met the head of Adam Jones, but the ball bounced wide of the target.

“Fox field is a fortress; we don’t concede goals here, we win games, and we win by big margins.”

The Coyotes made an immediate response when they found Robert Wagner left open to run in on goalkeeper Brandon Watson, but the captain was quick off his line to sprawl into the initial strike. A resulting rebound gave Wagner a second attempt, but the midfielder was thwarted by a slight bock from Anthony Van De Vendel and a goal line clearance by Pascal Schmidt to clear away the danger.

With less than 10 minutes left in the first, the Clan finally broke the deadlock. Substitute James Fraser did well to race onto a through ball that prompted Coyote keeper Mike Warn to run off his line, but Fraser cleverly flicked the ball over the keeper and drew a foul inside the penalty area. Kyle Jones confidently buried the ensuing penalty kick to send the Clan into the halftime break with the lead.

“Either team could’ve had a goal, I’m glad we were the one who got it first because I think we deserved it,” Schneider continued.

“I was pleased with the way we responded in the second half by cleaning things up tactically.”

The second half proceedings showed some real promise in all areas of the pitch from the Clan.  Substitute Dzenan Bezdrob gave real threats in attack and nearly choreographed a first minute goal for James Fraser at the restart. Shane Satar was alert with interceptions and plenty of pace in the back line, while defender Callum Whittaker dominated the aerial battles in midfield for the full 90 minutes.

Calvin Opperman finally provided the insurance goal with minutes remaining, and Adam Jones joined his brother on the score sheet with a PK of his own in the dying seconds to go out with a bang.

Coach Schneider proudly reflected on the work by his team before the anniversary fireworks.

“We didn’t give them much of a chance and that’s the SFU way, so it’s good to see.”