Predicting the Champions and Europa League semi-finals

0
443
Credit: Glenn Harper (Flickr)
Credit: Glenn Harper (Flickr)
Credit: Glenn Harper (Flickr)

As we near the end of both of Europe’s continental soccer competitions, the Champions League and the Europa League, soccer fans have been blessed with four fantastic semi-finals. Here are my thoughts and predictions on each.

Champions League

Bayern Munich vs. Barcelona

Perhaps the most exciting matchup out of the four, this one sees two extremely strong teams with a flair for attacking go at it over two legs. Barcelona have been in absolutely terrific form, their last defeat coming against Malaga on February 21.

Bayern have been their dominant selves in Germany and in Europe, overcoming a 3–1 loss against Porto by winning 6–1 at home and have recently secured their third straight Bundesliga title with four games to go. This means that they will be able to rest key players leading up to the game, unlike Barcelona, who hold a precarious five point lead in La Liga.

Despite this, it would be hard to bet against Barcelona, who may currently have the world’s best three attackers: Messi, Suarez, and Neymar.

Predicted winner: Barcelona

Juventus vs. Real Madrid

Another great matchup that sees the defending champions, Real Madrid taking on the very strong Juventus side that has dominated domestically the last four seasons. Juventus have a 14 point lead in Serie A, are on pace to win their fourth straight title, and are in the Coppa Italia final.

Real Madrid are in their fifth straight semi-final and are looking to become the first team, since the tournament was formatted to its current setup in 1992, to defend the title. Similar to Bayern Munich, Juventus have the luxury to rest key players in their upcoming league matches, but that likely won’t matter against a very strong Madrid side.

It will be a very tight series, and closer than most people seem to think, but I believe Real Madrid will squeak through.

Predicted winner: Real Madrid

Europa League

Fiorentina vs. Sevilla

Fiorentina sit fifth in Serie A, and it looks like the only way that they will be able to secure a champions league spot next season will be to win the Europa league. Sevilla are the defending champions, and are currently fifth in La Liga, two points back of a Champions League spot.

Domestically, Fiorentina’s form is troubling, but in Europe they’ve been impressive, especially against Dynamo Kyiv. However, Sevilla are the defending champs, so I have to give the advantage to them, although I believe it will be a tightly contested two legs.

Predicted winner: Sevilla

Dnipro vs. Napoli

Napoli are near the top of Serie A, being two points back of third-placed Roma for the last Champions League spot. In Dnipro, they face a team that sits second in the Ukrainian Premier League, six points behind Dynamo Kyiv, who Fiorentina beat in the quarter finals.

Napoli are the clear favourites here, with star striker Gonzalo Higuain and manager Rafael Benitez. ‘Rafa’ has had success in cup tournaments before, winning the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and the Europa League with Chelsea in 2013 as the intern manager.

Predicted winner: Napoli