Rubacava’s new EP is one hell of an album

0
480
Photo courtesy of The Permanent Rain Press.

Every so often, a down-to-earth musical group magically appears that rattles your bones and makes you think, ‘Wow, I guess not all Vancouver bands sound the same after all.’ Rubacava, led by BFFs Sylvie Bridgman and Dan Ponich, is one of those bands.

With their debut EP, Time and Vices, already in the bag, the powerhouse duo is back in action with their sophomore album, The Magenta EP. It’s a collection of four bold and danceable tracks that hit you with in-your-face beauty.

Sylvie and Dan have been making sounds together since their days in a local folk band Wintercoast. Maintaining influences from that genre, along with pop and blues, it’s undeniable that the boldness of rock has taken them on an adventure lately. They cite artists such as Noel Gallagher, Conor Oberst, Band of Skulls, Beck, The National, Damon Albarn, Elbow, Kasabian, and Alt-J as inspiration.

It’s clear that the duo have grown up since Time and Vices. They have crafted a lusher sound, thick with loud, emotional grooves and polished vocals. The intro track, “Magenta,” introduces us to Sylvie’s fairytale-like keys and Dan’s smooth guitar, both of whic

intensify as the bass and drums kick in, culminating in a catchy loudness that shows off the whole band and their connection.

“End of April” follows, highlighting the band’s enticing juxtaposition even further through Sylvie and Dan’s contrasting but complementary vocals. “When I’m Coming Down” weaves sharp guitar, dancing piano, and lyrics that gnaw at your emotions.

The highlight of the album is the final track, an incredibly catchy tune titled “Black Calico.” Dan’s Jack White-style vocals are a thrilling surprise, and the haunting outro, a layered duet, will leave you with chills (the good kind).

Listening to The Magenta EP is like being in on a secret; Sylvie and Dan have shared a glimpse of their intimate musical adventure with us — and I’m not complaining. Sylvie and Dan make one hell of a team, and this is one hell of an album.