Chad Brownlee ends his When the Lights Go Down Tour in Vancouver

0
456
Photo courtesy of The Windsor Star.
Photo courtesy of The Windsor Star.
Photo courtesy of The Windsor Star.

I’ve never seen so many cowboy boots stomping in unison on the Commodore’s ballroom floor. Ending his Canadian tour at home, Chad Brownlee was joined by Canadian Country Music Award winners Bobby Wills and Jess Moskaluke. Wills was up first with his catchy songs like “Show Some Respect,” “Crazy Enough,” and “Undressed.” Moskaluke continued to warm up the crowd and finished her set with her current single, “Cheap Wine and Cigarettes.”

Before becoming a full-time musician, Brownlee was a professional hockey player playing for the Minnesota State Mavericks and the Idaho Steelheads. With a nod to this past life, he took the stage as a voice over described his transition from the blue line to the stage. He also made sure to promote his charitable auction of a unique guitar made out of hockey sticks.

With his shirt unbuttoned halfway and just the right amount of charm and confidence, Brownlee played an energetic, upbeat set full of lyrics that rolled effortlessly off his tongue and melodies that make the audience feel right at home.

He opened with “Smoke in the Rain,” one of his popular singles from 2012, and followed with a mix of his older work and tracks from his latest album, The Fighters. He dedicated the title track to all the “fighters” that the Tim Horton’s Charitable Foundation helps, and reminded us to be grateful we aren’t facing those struggles.

Many of Brownlee’s songs evoke a bright summertime feeling, such as “Hood of My Car” and “Just Because.” Another common theme is relationships, and we were treated to the vengeful “Matches,” the exuberant “Falling Over You,” and the heartfelt “Listen.” Brownlee is able to get to the heart of the matter without being overly glib or brash.

Brownlee and his guitar had the stage to themselves for his acoustic cover of Ed Sheeran’s very romantic “Thinking Out Loud,” and the romance continued as he asked a volunteer from the crowd to be his “date” before serenading them with “Why Don’t We Stay.”

“Love Me or Leave Me” is an older single of his, but still sounds fresh and had the crowd chanting along the very catchy chorus: “Black or white, day or night, yes or no. I’ll make it easy, love me or leave me.”

Of course the namesake of his tour, “When the Lights Go Down,” was saved for last. He was soon back for an encore with Wills and Moskaluke, and they surprised the crowd with impressive covers of Katy Perry’s “Roar” and Bruno Mars’ “Uptown Funk.” Funky glasses, lively dance moves, and three beautiful country voices joined forces to finish off the night on a high note.