Miami City Ballet visits Vancouver for the first time with Balanchine

0
433
Photo courtesy of Daniel Azoulay.

George Balanchine is known as one of the most influential ballet choreographers of the 20th century, and his contemporary works range from experimental to exquisitely romantic. As one of the leading presenters of Balanchine’s work, Miami City Ballet was invited by Ballet BC to present three of his works from different periods of his career.

Ballo della Regina started off the program with a classical ballet set to Verdi’s vibrant Don Carlos score. Full of energy, the young dancers of Miami City Ballet filled the stage with Balanchine’s buoyant choreography. Made up of a few elaborate variations that involve a few pas de deux and plenty of stage time for the corps, this work is lively and fast-paced. Although the company should be commended for their execution of this work, there were some technical aspects, specifically with the corps, that I found distracting.

Photo courtesy of Daniel Azoulay.
Photo courtesy of Daniel Azoulay.

Symphony in Three Movements, one of Balanchine’s contemporary works using experimental choreography and right angles is set to the more discordant score of Stravinsky. The plain black and white leotards make a bold statement for the corps, and the soloists stood out in pastel colours. The simplicity of the costumes was mirrored in the stripped-down movements that show Balanchine’s ability to play with lines, angles, and the ballet form.

This piece was very impressive, but I was also distracted by a couple of moments where an arm was not in line with the others, or the technique could have been more polished in the corps.

The final work, Serenade, was a breathtakingly romantic ballet of emotional intensity set to Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for Strings in C. It is easy to see why Balanchine refers to this work as his “favourite child.” As the dancers glide around the stage in baby blue long tutus, the heartwrenching score renders their movements all the more striking. The work begins with the corps holding up one hand and gazing into the distance, and ends with an even more melancholy promenade as two of the male dancers hold their partner straight up and walk slowly through the two lines of the corps.

Miami City Ballet showed the range and brilliance of Balanchine’s choreography, and despite a few technical flaws, it was an impressive evening of dance.

Balanchine was presented by Miami City Ballet February 19 – 21. For more information, visit miamicityballet.org.