Rejected Album Review

0
404

When I first came across Pet Sounds, it was quite a relieving moment. I used to think that I was the only one who loved to listen to sounds of dogs barking, cats meowing, roosters roosting and chimpanzees making whatever sounds monkeys make. But when I saw this album at my local record store, I thought not only was I not alone, but men — boys, actually — thought to make an entire album of them.

That’s what I thought, at least. I popped in the album and heard an instrument, not an animal, but a musical instrument. Well, I listened a few seconds further — perhaps it was an intro, and then I would hear a few oinks — but next I heard melody, beautiful melody.

Here I was expecting disorganized, dissonant pet sounds, and instead I’m hearing well crafted songs that are catchy and make you feel upbeat! I wanted music to rage to, music to make me wonder why I live in a barn (without actually living in a barn), not pleasant sixties surf-rock!

If the misleading title wasn’t enough, the cover shows these “beach boys” feeding animals. I assumed this was one of those behind the scenes shots of them preparing the animals for recording.

I mean, maybe I should have known better, because why would “beach boys” make an album with pet sounds? You would expect a name like . . . “The Pet Shop Boys” or something, but I thought that maybe they were just being ironic. Certainly, they aren’t going to the beach in those clothes and they clearly appear to be well above the age of boyhood.

Listening to the whole album, I did hear some pet sounds but was still disappointed that the pet noises were not at the forefront of the project. Unless you are a fan of well-done vocal harmonies and interesting arrangements, I cannot honestly recommend this album.

Verdict: I would pass on this one, and buy the upcoming Dog Barking Vol. 2: Six More Hours of Just Barking. Hopefully, that one will have actual pet sounds and not be just another ruse from a sycophant group of “beach boys”.