Manitoba Blue Cross a bad fit for SFU

0
581

BW-travel insurance-laughingmonk-flickr copy

After recent grievances, it has become apparent to me that SFU should switch its ihaveaplan’s travel insurance provider to one appropriately designed to service BC residents.

Last November, I had to go to the ER while in the US. Before I went to the hospital, I made sure I talked to CanAssistance as instructed by SFU’s Travel Health Passport. I was told which hospital I was allowed to go to, and that my bill should be covered.

However, I received a call the next day from Manitoba Blue Cross telling me they wouldn’t cover my $4,000 bill because they thought I had gone with a pre-existing condition. My condition was not pre-existing, and after hours on the phone with the hospital, I was able to obtain the evidence to prove this.

When I tried to contact Manitoba Blue Cross again, I learned the number on their forms only works in Manitoba. In BC, this number connects callers to the closest Blue Cross — the Pacific Blue Cross, for us. For those wondering, their out-of-province number is 1-888-596-1032.

I spent many hours on hold with Pacific Blue Cross while they took my information and tried to process my claim. It was only later that I realized I’d been given the wrong number and was talking to a different insurance company.

I was informed that my credit rating would be affected.

Everything took time. I had to wait a week for someone to call me back regarding any questions, and it took weeks for certain forms to be mailed — all of which had to first be submitted to BC Healthcare to prove they weren’t covered by MSP. This took 16 weeks.

A month after I’d been to the hospital, I was contacted by a collection agency. Despite still waiting for my claim to be processed, I was informed that I owed a large amount of interest and that my credit rating would be affected. On the other hand, Manitoba Blue Cross didn’t express sympathy about the collection agency, and explained that I should have paid the $4,000 bill up front and waited for reimbursement. As I’m sure is the case with most SFU students, this was not possible.

Last month, Manitoba Blue Cross paid the hospital for a portion of my bill, because the physician at the ER had a separate bill that had been overlooked. It’s been 10 months since I went to the ER, and I still have a $500 bill that may not be covered because it wasn’t submitted before the deadline. If I had had the proper information, I would have been able to submit it on time. If I had been able to call Manitoba Blue Cross from the beginning, this could have been avoided.

Employees from both Pacific and Manitoba Blue Cross couldn’t comprehend why a BC resident was using Manitoba’s Blue Cross; they said Manitoba Blue Cross is for Manitoba residents, and that Pacific Blue Cross services BC residents.

When I did eventually get in touch with Manitoba Blue Cross, I told them they needed to give their BC clients a number that works in BC. The employees I spoke with told me their phone number works in Manitoba, and that it’s the standard number they give out. Frustrated, I asked to speak with a manager. I was told he would contact me, but I never received any call.

Manitoba Blue Cross explained I should have paid the $4,000 bill up front.

While I continue to wait for answers, I remain frustrated by the preventable challenges that I have had to endure. All of these obstacles could have been avoided had I been provided Manitoba Blue Cross’s out-of-province number to begin with, and if SFU’s travel insurance provider through ihaveaplan.ca was one actually designed for those in our province.