Peak Week – Feb. 25, 2013

0
464

Eats

Sean Heather, owner of such Vancouver food establishments as Judas Goat, the Salty Tongue, and Bitter, has recently added Ranier Provisions to his list of successes. Newly opened, Ranier is located on the historic and highly-coveted corner of Carrall and Cordova. Ranier Provision’s main purpose is in gathering all the things that Heather’s other locations do best and putting them in a retail format. Pop in for some coffee from Stumptown Coffee Roasters, ice cream from Ernest Ice Cream, or locally raised sausages from Moccia Urbani.

Beats

Prepare yourself for the Squamish Valley Music Festival by attending the launch at the Commodore, featuring Yukon Blonde and Diamond Rings. On March 1, organizers will announce the upcoming festival’s performers with a concert and party. If you’re a festival junkie, this is a good chance to get an early taste of what’s to come this spring and summer season.

Theats

Spaghetti Unchained! Sergio Leone, Sergio Corbucci, and the Splendours of the Spaghetti Western is coming to The Cinematheque. Beginning on March 1 and running throughout the month, The Cinematheque will be offering a steaming platefull of Spaghetti Westerns, including A Fistful of Dollars, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Django. If you’ve never laid eyes on a Spaghetti Western before, you should definitely take the opportunity to check one of these out. Expect revenge-plots and operatic dramatics.

Elites
The Vancouver Public Library will be hosting a selfpublishing fair on March 3. If you’ve always been interested in having one of your manuscripts published, but were always too nervous to send it in to a publisher, you should consider doing it yourself. The day will consist of panel discussions and presentations
on the business of book publishing, and will include workshops on editing skills, how to market yourself, and the business aspects of selfpublishing. There will also be printing, binding, cover design, software, and book production vendors on site.

Treats
If you’re one of those people that enjoy thrift shopping, you’ll be happy to know that Value Village is having a 50 per cent off sale on Feb. 25. This is a great chance to go and spend hours sorting through worn blouses and wool coats and find those one-of-a-kind gems that can only be found at second-hand stores. Running all day, the sale is the perfect opportunity to prepare for the coming of spring. Donate those things gathering dust in your closet, and trade them in for hand-painted flower pots or a straw sun hat.