Women’s soccer end season with two loses

0
411

The Clan end a forgettable season with a 1–16 record

By Bryan Scott

The Simon Fraser women’s soccer team was in action for the final two times of the season last week. They played the Seattle Pacific Falcons at home on Terry Fox Field then travelled to Ellensburg, Washington to take on the Central Washington Cougars. The women were looking to close out their season on a high note, since this has been one to forget.

The Falcons came out shooting to start the final home game for the Clan. They had three solid chances in the first 11 minutes of the game, but goalkeeper Amanda Gilliand was there to make the saves. She has been one of the bright spots for the Clan all year. Unfortunately, she couldn’t keep them all out, as the Falcons scored on their fourth shot in the 12th minute to take the 1–0 lead. They doubled their lead in the 23rd minute, when Riley Dopps put the ball in the back of the net, off a pass from across the box. Before the end of the half, the Falcons put the Clan in a hole they could not climb out off. They scored in the 40th minute, and then again in the 41st, making it 4–0 at halftime.

The Clan did manage to register a shot on net in the second half, but could not beat goalkeeper Natalie Harold, who was credited with the shutout. Gilliand made nine saves, as the Clan were outshot 17–6 in the game. The game could have gotten uglier if she hadn’t been between the pipes.

Despite losing their last home game of the year, the women had one more chance to win, but it was on the road. It was not to be, as it took only five minutes for the Cougars to score. They added another in the 25th minute, making it 2–0 at half. Gilliand made six saves in that half, which gave the Clan a glimmer of hope going into the second half.

The Clan picked up their play in the second half, but as it has been all season they could not find the back of the net. They had eight shots, on net forcing Cougars goalkeeper four saves. On the other side of the ball, the Cougars buried three goals in the 50th, 55th, and 74th, to finish off the Clan’s season on a disappointing note sending them home with a 5–0 loss.

The Clan finished the year 1–16 overall, and a dismal 0–14 in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. They also ended the season on an 11-game goal drought. Despite these poor results, Gilliand was an honourable mention for the GNAC All-Star team. She backstopped the Clan in all 17 games this season and led the GNAC with 5.41 saves per game, facing 92 shots. Head coach Shelley Howieson expressed hopes that she will continue her solid play in her sophomore year, saying “I hope Amanda can use this as motivation going into the off season to keep improving her game.”

Two other members of the team, Marissa Di Lorenzo and Ali Trenter were named to the GNAC All-Academic team. Both women had to achieve a grade point average over 3.20 to even be considered to the team. This is the second straight year that Di Lorenzo has earned this honour.