Clan move to 5–0 after successful week

0
375

Men’s soccer still undefeated

By Bryan Scott

The Simon Fraser Men’s soccer team had a busy week with three games. Their first game was against Azusa Pacific University. They continued their domination of opposing teams with a 6–1 victory on home field in front of 642 cheering fans.  The clan took every opportunity to shoot, firing 18 shots in the first half. Lucas Ferrito, the Red Lion Offensive Player of the Week, scored the game winner in the 45th minute after a good passing play. The Clan led 2–0 after the first half. The second half started with an offensive explosion. After Midfielder Justin Wallace booted home a penalty kick in the 54th minute, they scored two more 35 seconds apart in the 56th minute to give them a 5–0 lead that they wouldn’t give up. Azusa would break the shutout with a few minutes left in the match.

Their second game of the week was against the Hawaii Pacific Sea Warriors. Burnaby Mountain was back to its usual gray and rainy state, which seemed to throw the Clan off track early in the first half. This game would be unlike any they’ve played so far. The Sea Warriors came out determined and scored the first goal of the game in the 17th minute.  Soon, Clan forward John Hodnett scored his second goal in as many games to tie it late in the first. In the 61st minute, sniper Carlo Basso scored his seventh goal in four games to give the Clan a 2–1 lead. Ferrito scored for a second straight game, and once again it proved to be the game winner as the Clan won a close one, 3–2.

The final game of the week went down on Terry Fox Field against the Montana State University Billings Yellowjackets.  Despite the Clan already having played four games, this is their first in the conference. Goaltender J.D. Blakeley provided the perfect game in the 2–0 victory. “We knew it was going to be a tough game but everyone came out and did their jobs,” he said after the game. “Everytime they had the ball, we were pressuring them as much as we could, and it paid off.  It was a hard fought game and it’s good to come away with the win.”

Midfielder Chris Bargholz and Hodnett provided the offensive, and the Clan moved to 5–0 on the season and 1–0 in conference play.

The Clan played the Northwest Nazarene Crusaders on Saturday Sept. 15 at Terry Fox Field.