Band versus Band: SALES vs No Vacation

Head to head at the Biltmore Cabaret

0
877

By: Max Huebner

Stepping out of the heavy summer air and into the cool, dim red glow of the Biltmore, your eyes are drawn immediately to the far side of the room. You pass over a ragged Persian carpet as you make your way through a small crowd of people. The stage is a little cramped but inviting, lit in a soft blue and framed by the fairy lights that line the walls of the cabaret. As the bands step onto the stage, a quiet atmosphere falls upon the venue, and the intimacy of the show becomes apparent.

From humble two-piece dorm room beginnings to indie/bedroom-pop staples, female fronted SALES and No Vacation both offer smooth, contemporary blends of intricate guitar riffs, with airy, wistful vocals, and laid back drum tracks. While there are some obvious differences in each band’s respective musical style, both convey a warm, almost melancholic emotion in their music. This was made apparent by the thoughtful sentiments collectively expressed by the crowd at their show at the Biltmore Cabaret.

No Vacation

No Vacation wove together upbeat and intricate melodies, with soft vocals and reverb heavy guitar. They created a paradoxical collage of calmness and erraticism that left listeners in a dreamy trance. After a year-long hiatus preceding their most recent EP, Intermission (2017), the band hasn’t missed a beat. No Vacation wasn’t afraid to pull from their older repertoire, and kicked off the show with an adaptation of their 2015 release, “Lovefool.” Even though the band hails from New York, and this stood as their first show in Vancouver, No Vacation provided a great set list, a polished sound, and lots of interaction with fans which made their concert a show to remember.

SALES

As the opener packed up, more and more people began to pour into the venue — it became apparent which band the majority of fans came to see. Playing an entire set with only a three-piece band, SALES stayed true to their minimalist musical style. The result was an extremely clean sound. The light, repetitive melodic guitar patterns used so frequently in their music hung in the air like a mellifluous mist, while the usual crisp and jagged programmed drums heard on their studio album translated perfectly to a live drum set. Although the crowded venue made the set slightly less intimate, the enthusiasm shown by the fans more than made up for it.

The Verdict

A relatively even musical performance from both bands makes it difficult to distinguish clear winner between them. However, given the rich and refined sound they managed to pull from simplicity, I would give the edge to SALES. Their experience shines through in their music, and the crowd’s eager attention was only further evidence of that fact.