Best hikes in Vancouver

#beautifulbc #pnw #explorebc #wildernessculture #vancitywild

0
1360
Rumour has it Garibaldi Lake is actually just Cool Blue Gatorade. Kelsey Nikl / The Peak

By: Andrew Ringer and Eva Zhu

Andrew’s hikes:

Garibaldi Lake

Difficulty: Intermediate

Time: Five hours

Camping: Yeee

Driving time from SFU Burnaby: 1.5 hours

No matter how blue you understand water to be, you will still be surprised when you see Garibaldi Lake. IT IS BLUE . . . or turquoise, depending on how good your colour game is. To reach this holy water basin, however, you are going to have to hike. This isn’t your average stroll to your spin class, but it isn’t as hard as walking up the Saywell Hall staircase either. Walk around the lake and take in the mountains, flowers, water, and Instagram picture opportunities. Definitely doable in a day, but I would recommend spending the night so that you can hike Black Tusk the next day.

Nothing but true meaning for as far as the eye can see. Kelsey Nikl / The Peak

Black Tusk

Difficulty: Peak difficulty

Time: 11 hours (from the parking lot)

Camping: Yeee

This hike is also in Garibaldi Park, and is the most exciting one the park has to offer, although it is also the most difficult. My girlfriend bought me hiking boots for this one, because I wanted to do it in New Balance sneakers and the idea embarrassed her. She was probably right, as per usual. However, this highlights the importance of holding out, because my hiking boots are sweeeet. The hike is not very difficult if you stop where the signs tell you to, but if you’re going to hike to the bottom of a volcano, you might as well hike to the top. Watch out for falling rocks, blistering winds, lava, and yuppies, but enjoy the beautiful views and actually accomplishing something for once.

Rest in pieces, pita bread. Kelsey Nikl / The Peak ​

Lindeman Lake

Difficulty: Intermediate

Time: Two hours

Camping: No

Driving time from SFU Burnaby: Two hours

In order to truly feel out in the wild, this hike may be for you, as it is relatively quiet compared to many in the Vancouver area. At around the one kilometre mark, you will see a rockslide from many years ago that buried the original blueprints for the SFU Burnaby campus, leading to a quick redraft and the school we have today. As you get to the lake, you will notice many more boulders that are perfect to sit on. DO NOT drop food, however, as you may find yourself trying to fish out pita bread from between the rocks as I did. The expiry date on the package isn’t until 2019, so go exploring and get a free snack.

2000 metres up never looked so good. Kelsey Nikl / The Peak

Quarry Rock

Difficulty: Weenie

Time: 1.5 hours

Camping: No

Driving time from SFU Burnaby: Half an hour

If you want a hike that you can carry your dog on, this is it. But also, if you want a hike that you carry your dog on, get a new dog. The hike is easy, it’s green, and it’s an Instagram machine. Once you reach the top, you have a clear view of Burnaby Mountain and the grey cathedral that rests upon it. Bring a pair of binoculars, and you may be able see a Guadalupe burrito being eaten by an SFU student across the water. Bring a Mason jar, and you may be able to fit in with the local town folk. The one issue for the hike is parking, but true adventurers will walk or bike.

Eva’s hikes:

Gear Jammer, Mel’s Trail, Trans Canada Trail, and Cardiac Trail

Difficulty: BPK 110  

Time: One hour

Camping: SFU residence townhouses

This hike is not for those looking for an easy walk between classes. On this hike, you’ll need to be in fairly good shape if you want to be able to descend the Gear Jammer — a jagged and rocky path that is not for the faint of heart — and still have enough in you to climb the rest of the hike. Mel’s trail is where you’ll start feeling the burn, but don’t give up, because the views on the Trans Canada Trail that leads back to SFU are breathtaking! Look down and you’ll see acres of trees, green as they can be. Look up and marvel at the beautiful blue sky. Look ahead and you’ll be greeted with a breathtaking view of Burrard Inlet.

Gear Jammer, Function Junction, Powerline Trail, Trans Canada Trail, and Port Moody

Difficulty: MATH 100

Time: Two hours

Camping: Shell House

Strap on your hiking boots and bring a water bottle for this scenic route, because it’s a wild ride from start to finish. Instead of turning up onto Mel’s Trail after descending the easier half of Gear Jammer, keep going and take up the challenge of the steeper half. Do remember to take it slow so an ambulance won’t be in your itinerary. Your hard work will pay off as soon as you set foot onto Function Junction, because it’s all smooth sailing from there. As you keep descending down the Trans Canada Trail, look around you at all the other people who have decided to make this popular trail part of their day. Don’t forget to take a look at the magnificent cityline while walking the trail!

Poplar Trail and Nicole’s Trail

Difficulty: Grad school

Time estimate: 1.5 hours

Camping: Hamilton Hall

Only those who are extremely fit and skilled at maneuvering their way across a path made of nothing more than some rocks will be able to take on this hike. If you can barely walk in a straight line without falling down, this hike definitely isn’t for you. This hike is neither an easy route or a scenic route, but once you make it to the bottom of Nicole’s Trail, you’ll feel like a million bucks. When descending this hike, remember to take it slow, because accidentally putting your foot in a puddle of water might ruin this amazing experience for you. Take extra care when walking (or crawling, if you have the aforementioned balance problem) on top of the log, because falling would not be in your best interests.

Cardiac Hill, Trans Canada Trail, and Hastings Street

Difficulty: PHYS 190 (astronomy)

Time estimate: Three hours

Camping: N35 night bus

If you have the better part of a day off, why not grab a few friends, a picnic basket, and a portable speaker and conquer this physically non-demanding, but long, hike! You’ll get off to a steep and grueling start on Cardiac Hill, working your heart to its max as you make your way to the Trans Canada Trail. Fear not, though, because the hard part is over. Now, take a deep breath of the fresh mountain air, and continue your way on the rest of the hike. When you get to Hastings Street, congratulations, you’ve made it! We suggest stuffing your face with some pasta with your friends before heading back up, and unless you’re really up for the challenge of hiking back, consider taking the bus back home.