World News Beat

0
446

US – Football player Mike Evans sat during anthem to protest Trump

Mike Evans, a wide receiver for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, protested the recent presidential election of Donald Trump by remaining seated during the singing of America’s national anthem before the team played the Chicago Bears. Evans expressed his intent to continue sitting during anthems, explaining that he saw Trump’s campaign and the election result as a joke. His team delivered a statement to the public, saying that they respect the rights of an individual, but still encourage each other to give respect to the flag. Like Evans, other NFL players have also refused to stand during anthems in the past, such as to Colin Kaepernick, a quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers.  

With files from BBC Sport

INDIA – 100,000 students in Kashmir take exams regardless of long-term school closure

Kashmir students recently decided to carry on with their exams in spite of a four-month shutdown to their schools due to fires that have been described as “mysterious” by the BBC. With over 100,000 students taking these exams, security was in place, due to recent conflicts following the death of Burhan Wani, a well-known rebel. In addition to civil unrest in Kashmir, there has also been tension between India and Pakistan: India claims that Pakistan has incited the conflicts.  

With files from BBC News

MEXICO – Kidnapped priest found alive after suffering apparent physical torment

Father Jose Luis Sanchez Ruiz was discovered alive after being kidnapped in Veracruz and reportedly tortured by his captors. Ruiz, a Roman Catholic priest in Catemaco, was abducted due to his outspoken opposition of drug violence and corruption in his town, as per the statements made by Father Aaron Reyes. Roughly 30 priests have been murdered in Mexico within the last 10 years.

With files from BBC News