NEW MUSIC FRIDAY

0
522

By: Jamal Dumas, Courtney Miller, Zach Siddiqui, and Jessica Whitesel

Follow The Peak on Spotify to stay up to date on New Music Friday.

“Make Me Like You” (Gwen Stefani)

Jessica Whitesel: What the hell, Gwen? You used to be cool, now, well, you just kind of sound like everyone else.

Zach Siddiqui: Bouncy and fun with a slightly retro feel to it. Definitely catchy.

Jamal Dumas: Gwen is trying way too hard. This is a song that wants you to really like it but several mediocre hooks can’t make up for the lack of a decent one. Listen to “Hollaback Girl” instead.

Courtney Miller: Gwen’s melodies are spot-on, but the delivery could use some work. Too whiny for me in particular.

“The New Cupid” (BJ the Chicago Kid feat. Kendrick Lamar)

JW: Kendrick was good but that was about the only thing. This song had a weird talking outro on top of being too long. It just needed to end.

ZS: Lyrically savage, instrumentally chill. There’re some amazing voices here and some cool gimmicks — this is joining the ranks of my personal playlist.

JD: This is a song with peaks and valleys (see what I did there!). Kendrick’s part carries the latter half but the song seems to meander before getting there.

CM: I don’t even know what’s happening in this intro, there’s like random talking and weird noises. It mellows out into something almost elevator-music in vibe, then gets like a weird rap overlay. Not spectacular enough to merit another listen.

“Every Songbird Says” (Sam Beam and Jesca Hoop)

JW: It’s your average male and female indie folk duet. It’s not bad, but there isn’t really anything memorable about it either.

ZS: It builds nicely and gathers a sort of interesting suspense. Listening to this feels like a coming-of-age adventure out in the wilderness of some fantasy novel.

JD: The two vocalists harmonize well and there is a pleasant wistful quality to the arrangement. I want to take this song with me on a summer stroll through the forest.

CM: I actually think I like this one. The vocals really carry the song and they’re done well. The disparity between the male and female vocals adds to the overall experience.

“A-Team” (Travi$ Scott)

JW: Once I realized he was rapping “A-team” instead of “18,” I was less confused by this song. But again just another song about how cool your friends are — not bad, but not special.

ZS: A cool little rap that’ll be stuck in my head for a bit. A solid voice with lots of emotion in it.

JD: What is this song even about? Scott’s lyrics are virtually pointless and abstract and not in a cool way. With lyrics this disappointing, it’s a minor consolation that the backing track is so solid.

CM: Love the horn intro, and then I check out. Super auto-tuned, super monomelodic, super not my thing. Couldn’t get more than 30s into it.

“No Ordinary Man” (Salt Cathedral)

JW: This was a pretty ordinary song. It just fell into the background and didn’t stand out as being something other than background noise.

ZS: This is 100 percent something I’d hear in an obscure coffee shop during a philosophical life-talk. Well, I’d want to, anyway. It has that sort of vibe.

JD: This song really keeps on building well with a really chill vibe to both the vocals and the music. I just feel like no individual part sticks out to me as noteworthy.

CM: I really dig this, “‘cause I am what I am.” Vocals are super well done, backing music starts off really minimalistic and then builds into a fuller sound that perfectly accompanies the voice.

“Cheap Thrills” (Sia feat. Sean Paul)

JW: Both Sia and Sean Paul have very distinctive voices. While this works for a solo performance, having them both on that same track was kind of odd. But once you get used to that, it actually is a really good song.

ZS: I’m a sucker for quirky intros to songs. The rest of the song is pretty great too, and for some reason I’ve always liked dancey songs about the whole “fun without big spending” theme.

JD: Oh Sean Paul, where you have been in my life? I don’t care if his contributions amount to indecipherable rapping, goddamit, hearing it reminds me of my childhood. Sia is good but non essential here.

CM: This would be way more enjoyable without Sean Paul. He doesn’t do much aside from sporadic contributions lyrically which I cannot for the life of me decipher. Excellent beat.

“Pep Rally” (Missy Elliot)

JW: Classic Missy. Full of energy and makes you want to dance. I will admit that to just sit and listen to this song doesn’t do it for me, but I can see myself dancing to this in the club or trying to dance in my car.

ZS: Very raw and in-your-face. A wild ride from start to finish.

JD: Listening to this song made me, like Missy, want to “turn around and make it bounce like a basketball.”

CM: I know Missy Elliot is like a popular icon-type, and that’s cool — to each their own. But repetitive rap and instructions on how to dance is a decades-old feel, and I don’t think bringing it back like this is helping anybody.

“Bounty Hunters” (Röyksopp)

JW: The weird techno house music vibe with the audio clips from Stars Wars is different, but like good different. I can get behind using audio of the alien languages from Star Wars in place of “real” words in songs.

ZS: Wasn’t totally feeling this one, personally, but it does have its moments for me, and it’s a rad background confrontation tune.

JD: This is great video game music and nothing else. On to the next one please.

CM: Repetitive, unimaginative, can’t make out what they’re saying. It’s like 7.5 minutes longer than it needs to be. This could have been super chill for Star Wars lightsaber battles or something, but I think it falls short.

“The Secret” (Astronomyy)

JW: I feel like the two “y”s on the end of the band’s name are asking “why.” Why would they make this song that I’m pretty sure I’ve heard before? Why would they fall into the trap of mass-produced electronic music? The singer can actually sort of sing, so highlight that.  

ZS: It’s got an ethereal quality to it that I enjoy. I feel like I’d hear this on a TV drama at a pivotal moment.

JD: There is this cool synthy part that comes in right at the chorus that I really like. This song feels really polished to me, but maybe a tad too polished.

CM: Not my usual style, but crisp vocals and a varied enough backtrack keep me from falling into the pit of monotony, and keep me bopping along contentedly.

“Night Swim” (Josef Salvat)

JW: I like this song, it’s a little more chill and sensual. It would be a good song to listen to by the pool, in the hot tub, or on the patio with your S.O.

ZS: Slow, sad, and heavy, with a great voice behind it. The lyrics are a little cliché, but it’s pretty enough to be forgivable.

JD: Josef Salvat’s smooth and sensual voice paired with a minimalist arrangement and haunting lyrics make this a must listen.

CM: I could see this as a low and sexy introduction to skinny-dipping should you and any amours feel that way inclined. Smooth, lilting vocals make this an easy-listen.

“29” (Run River North)

JW: It’s kind of fun, but again I feel like I’ve already heard this song. I would still dance or sing along to it, but it’s just not that different from hundreds of other songs.

ZS: Rhythmically, the definition of “pick-me-up song.” Wonderful songwriting here, and the chorus is just such a pump-up. 10/10 for sure.

JD: I was hooked from the very first note. The song starts off strong and keeps on soaring. I feel like this might be a sleeper indie hit.

CM: Yes. This is a great, fun tune. Upbeat, complementary vocals and music with punctuating piano and A+ percussion. It’ll have you singing along in no time.

“Fool” (Basia Bulat)

JW: I was not a fan of the end of this song. The constant “ooooo” was just too much. The vocals were clean, but the end just kind of wrecked the song.

ZS: I especially like the vocals here. A very cute piece, short but sweet.

JD: It’s just a little too cute for me. It’s catchy and feel good but it feels like it’s lacking substance, like a sugar free popsicle.

CM: High notes are held well, but nothing really stood out for me. Perfectly good to study to or chill to and it’s nicely crafted. It’s just nothing special.