Peak Sports Roundtable: Our Stanley Cup Picks

0
526

Austin Cozicar, Sports Editor
Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 10.14.34 PM

Finals Prediction: Vancouver Canucks vs. NY Rangers
Victor: Vancouver Canucks

To tell you the truth, I don’t see one clear winner this year. The juggernauts of last year, Chicago, LA, and Boston, just don’t seem like the same teams this year. Though Anaheim have made an impression, head coach Bruce Boudreau has had troubles in the playoffs, with many of his teams succeeding in the regular season only to suffer early playoff losses. I think the Ducks will find a way to leave the playoffs early. And though teams like Nashville and St. Louis are contenders, they have no real record of playoff success. The Canucks may be a longshot, but I think that against the right team, they could have some success. It’s open season.

Brad McLeod, Features Editor

Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 10.18.42 PM

Finals Prediction: Montreal Canadiens vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Victor: Montreal Canadiens

Although it’s been 22 years since their last cup win, as the most decorated team in NHL history, you can never count out the Canadiens. Goaltending is crucial in the postseason and Montreal has the best goalie in the league in Carey Price, who has been especially phenomenal this year. Much like Price, PK Subban, and Max Pacioretty have been great young players for years, and have accumulated the experience to take the team to the next level. They may not have any superstar forwards with the name recognition of Sidney Crosby or Patrick Kane, but the Canadiens’ talent pool is unbelievably deep. I think 2015 is the year they finally bring Lord Stanley back to Montreal for a 25th time.

Nick Bondi, Peak Associate

WEB_Nick Bondi

Stanley Cup Final: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Winner: Tampa Bay Lightning

A good indicator of future success is 5v5 close, defined as when the game is tied or within one goal in the first or second periods or tied into the third period. Tampa Bay and Chicago are two of the top teams in the league in this regard. Chicago will likely have Patrick Kane back at this point in the playoffs, and reports indicate he could return earlier than the 12 week period originally estimated. But it’s the abundance of young talent that I believe give the Lightning the edge. Along with Steven Stamkos, they have Ondrej Palat, Tyler Johnson, and Nikita Kucherov. If Ben Bishop or backup Andrei Vasilevski can get on a roll, Tampa Bay will be taking home their second Stanley cup come June.

Mike Lazar, Peak Associate

WEB_silhouette

Finals Prediction: Montreal Canadiens vs. Nashville Predators
Victor: Montreal Canadiens

I’m thrilled that there are more Canadian teams in contention this playoff season, but if I’m being realistic, I’d put my faith in the Canadiens. I’m not as big of a hockey fan as my fellow contributors (I’m a soccer guy), but from an outsider’s perspective and as a goalkeeper myself, I predict Carey Price will be vital to the Habs’ success this time around — he’s got a ridiculous save percentage and a proven track record in the postseason. For this reason, I’d put the Preds in the final as well, with the reliable Pekka Rinne between the pipes. Montreal’s attack will also be buoyed by Max Pacioretty and his clutch finishing, who’s notched 10 game-winning goals throughout the regular season.

Ryan Woo, Peak Associate

WEB_silhouette

Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Anaheim Ducks
Winner: Pittsburgh Penguins

The firepower of both the Ducks and the Penguins should allow them to battle through any offensive cold streaks throughout the playoffs, but the biggest variable for the two teams will be goaltending. Marc-Andre Fleury has proven to be incredibly clutch at times, while Frederik Anderson is still unproven in the playoffs. In order for Pittsburgh to reach the finals, they need to stay healthy and keep the duo of Malkin and Crosby at top form. This matchup would be a high-scoring affair, and this bodes well for both teams — but the volatile factors of health and goaltending sway my prediction. I believe Pittsburgh will win it all.