Sex and the Suburbs: Where to enjoy of taste of European cuisine in Vancouver

0
467

Vancouverites tend to have an eclectic palate for cuisines; Mexican-style eggs for breakfast, sushi for lunch, and homemade Indian food for dinner is not abnormal here. Reading break is fast approaching, and if you can’t afford a trip to Europe for the week, here are a few gems in Vancouver that offer a European vibe, even if just for a few hours.

Both of us have been fortunate enough to visit Europe a couple of times, and it’s hard to argue with the fact that walking down a cobblestone street in the morning into a quaint bakery with the fresh smell of bread and pastries is the best thing in the world. The combination of fresh gluten-laden goods and crisp espresso is a perfect expression of the slow-paced European lifestyle.

In Vancouver, Faubourg is the quintessential Euro bakery, and they’ve got the artisanal goods to prove it. Their ambiance takes this place over the top: it’s stylish and open, while maintaining a casually European feeling. We recommend it for a relaxed pre-shopping fuel-up, or if you’re in the mood for people watching.

Anthony Bourdain once said, “if you’re not eating well in Spain, there is no hope for you.” We’d have to agree. Life in the Costa del Sol, the southern Spanish coast, is all about eating, drinking, and siesta-ing, the three pillars of the good life. Thankfully, tapas, one of Spain’s most famous culinary creations, can be enjoyed right here on the West Coast.

Espana is a Spanish-style tapas restaurant on Denman street in close proximity to English Bay. They boast seasonal market picked dishes — think warm vegetables, marinated meats, and addictive cheeses with a divine wine menu. Going with a few friends and sharing about 10 different small plates with some sherry or wine would make the Spanish proud.

Via Tevere is a true homestyle Italian pizzeria. Although there are many mouth-watering, wood-burning pizzas cooking in this city, this is our fave. The owners, who grew up in Napoli, imported their oven from the homeland and made a new home for it on Victoria Drive. The vibe inside feels like you’re in a small Italian village. When you’re there, order your pizza of choice and the arugula salad; if you’re a pro, wrap them up together.

Looking for a place that screams old country and ‘I just won the lottery’ at the same time? Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill is the spot to see and be seen at. Frequented by stylish Vancouver magnates like Joe Segal, Cioppino’s is a family business headed by master chef Pino and managed by his older brother.

The kitchen is populated with various relations of Pino’s, and both the Tuscan-style ribeye and the rack of lamb earn our highest praise. This place also has arguably the best wine menu in Vancouver — if you can afford it.

But Brix may just be the best-kept secret in the city. Walk through the wine red-coloured curtains into an oh-so-European piazza. With exposed brick, high ceilings, and green draping vines on the walls, this restaurant will transport you to the French courtyard of your dreams. Aptly named after the unit of measurement for the sugar content of grapes harvested and turned into wine, Brix is all about just that — the wine.

With one of the best selections in Vancouver, Brix has everything from stern Super Tuscans and sultry pouty Borolos to bouncing Bordeauxs and lavish Burgundians. To eat, we highly recommend the maple bourbon duck breast, which is packed so full of flavours you’ll spend the first bite falling in love and the last wishing for more.