SFU puts on dominant showing at Clan International

0
700
SFU hosted the Clan International.

The men’s and women’s wrestling teams hosted the Clan International on November 1 at SFU Burnaby’s middle gym. The Clan were among the top teams at this event, with nine members capturing top-three spots in 10 different weight classes.

Rounding out the first-place winners on the men’s side were Reid Watkins at 74 kg, and Ciaran Ball at 90 kg. Josh Kim finished second in the 86 kg weight class, while teammates Morgan Smith at 78 kg, and Ryan Yewchin at 125 kg would capture third-place titles. Also obtaining a third-place title was Ciaran Bell at 97 kg, competing in two weight classes.

On the women’s side, freshman Payton Smith won the 85 kg weight class, while teammates Abby Lloyd at 48 kg, Jen Anderson at 55 kg, and Bailley Halvorson at 63 kg captured third-place titles.

Simon Fraser University University Wrestling

The Clan International was also the season opener for the men’s wrestling team, where Watkins was able to showcase his practice efforts, after having dealt with injuries during his first two years training as a university athlete.

“My first two years at SFU were dissatisfying because I felt my injuries were holding me back from my goals,” Watkins explained. “So finally going into my third year, I feel healthy and ready to train and compete at my full potential. [. . . My coaches] Justin [Abdou] and Clete [Hanson] have been working with me, in practice, on my speed and power to help me be dominant in competition, [and] I think this past weekend I did just that.

“The Clan [International] was just the tip of the iceberg of what my teammates and I can do as athletes [. . .] I am super excited for this season, and have my eyes set on an NCAA title at 165 lbs,” Watkins concluded.

The men and women traveled to Forrest Grove, OR to compete at the Mike Clock Open.